Setting up Gaming Desktop in Truck

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Blaircroft, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Blaircroft

Blaircroft Bobtail Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Hello I'm trying to set up my gaming computer in my 2018 Kenworth T680 but having power issues. Both with the monitor and the tower. But mostly the monitor. I realize the power inverter is likely incompatible with monitor and tower PSU. I need a workaround.

Issue: Monitor works interminitly for short periods of time then goes into sleep mode. Sometimes says "No Input" when it it hooked up properly.

Tower works but interminitly restarts. Sometimes I get the error "Please power down and connect the PCIe power cables for this graphics card". But all power cables are secured in the proper places. Tower+ monitor works no problem connected to a wall socket.

My PSU specs are:
    Monitor: Acer LCD 22" wide-screen model# G235H power rating 100-240V 50/60Hz 1.5A

PSU: Corsair AX850 model# CMPSU-850AX 100-240V

Inverter: Tundra M1500 12 VDC 120 VAC-1500W

Its possible I have too many things hooked up to the inverter but I've tried it with just monitor and tower hooked up with these results. I realize the monitor and tower PSU are probably incompatible with the inverter so I'm asking for ideas or workarounds to get my gaming rid working with no issues. Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    Cheap modified sine inverter. You need something with pure sine what is expensive.

4. fargonaz

fargonaz Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Mesa, AZ
    Snailexpress Thanks this.
  5. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Work around would be to buy a battery backup APU,.. one of the larger better ones like the APC Pro1500. Plug the monitor and PC into the APU,.. that will give the correct voltage requirements. You could then get away with a cheaper 3000 watt none Sine inverter.

The other end,.. I would strongly suggest at least a 2500+ watt inverter. Pure Sine would be the better option if your going to run TV's, Monitors and PC's through it.

I have a 3500 watt continuous with 4000 watt peak in my truck. When my tower became outdated,.. I upgraded to an MSI gaming laptop. I use a Sony 32" 4k TV as my monitor in the truck and a 55" Sony 4k LED TV at home. Laptop is getting old,.. just waiting for the mobile version of the Nvidia RTX2080 to come out. Current laptop specs are I7 6820HK CPU, 32gb DDR4, Nvidia GTX1080, 1 TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD primary and older 1 TB Samsung EVO840 as secondary SSD. Using Creative Soundblaster X-Fi HD as gaming audio and plug it into my truck stereo input jack.

Laptop is still very capable,.. but new one with RTX2080 will be that much better.

Hurst

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I agree with the sine wave.

And a Battery will help smooth out the power issues to the computer.

You don't have much inverter. The one battery I use is a Cyberpower 1500 AVR and Im using it to strictly protect the computer against spikes and power offs. Gives me a few minutes to shut down in a orderly manner. Im running a 1500 watt Seasonic Power supply which is itself pretty outrageous and driving 4 video cards in a custom desktop.

If I wanted to game in a truck, it's going to be a Ebay sale after E3 is finished once a year for a dual video card Laptop and drive that off the inverter on the other side of the battery to protect it.

If I had to buy a 3000+ watt sinewave inverter to drive my desktop, it's not worth it. The computer is itself too demanding in power draw.

Even if I could drive it, the large 360mm radiator will raise noise levels and heat that small interior of the truck beyond it's ability to cool with the A/C. It will pretty much sweat a human right out of it.

Back to the gaming laptop we go.

I was gaming out of truckstops online from time to time in 2001 myself we had two laptops. One for strictly GPS and kept a moving map in real time and the other was the bigger one. (Over priced for it's time we had so much money price was immaterial)

I don't recommend a tower situation in a big truck. Do it with a capable laptop and a big floor battery off the inverter. Sine wave is best.

I build my own towers, I am not current in laptops other than paying whatever the bidding stops at after E3 when it comes to getting a capable one.

7. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Go spend a grand or so on a good pure sine inverter in the 2500 to 4000 watt range. That cheap modified sine inverter will literally fry that desktop over time... Actually surprised that the computer even boots up with that inverter.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Don't need sine wave. A Battery backup will suffer the same issues the power supplies are suffering - TOO LITTLE POWER. A battery backup won't last a week if it's constantly switching.

Until you upgrade to a GOOD and properly installed 2500 watt or larger inverter, that sits on 4 batteries, you're going to have issues, and even then you may have to high-idle to run in full power mode.

Trucks and big gaming desktops are simply not compatible

9. Matt43324

Matt43324 Light Load Member

Jun 1, 2014
    How do you guys find time to play games? I got a switch that I haven't touched in months lol

uncleal13 Thanks this.
  10. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    Like others have said - it's a power issue. It either needs a pure sine wave inverter, or a way to "clean" the power being sent into the PC an monitor from the non pure sine wave source. Plug this into your 1500 watt inverter and then your desktop and monitor into this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00429N19W/ and you should have clean power.

11. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Because I'm only given 70 hours in 8 days. That works out to less than 9 hours on duty a day. That leaves a lot of free time.

But I run my desktop on a 1500 watt inverter no issues. I hear a little buzzing from the power supply inside the computer but it works great. I've played now for over a year without issues.

You need a better power supply, not a bigger one. Your gaming desktop is only pulling a couple of hundred watts, tops.

Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.