Shaffer: FORCED NY City!

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Reconciler, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    WOW! You failed a test on city driving? I really hate to let you in on this well kept secret but a lot of cities out there have the same kinds of streets that NYC has!
    I'll break it down for you.
    All telephone companies place poles as close as 6" from the edge of the asphalt! Every city you drive in you'll see poles, signs and even fire plugs on a corner.
    Cars in a lot of cities don't always honor that park behind the stop line or stop sign! Try Boston some time!
    NYC can't hold a candle to Boston or half of those New England cities!
    Want to see low over passes?
    Go to the west side of Chicago!
    There is even a map sold in the area called the "Low Clearance Overpass Map!"
    NYC can't claim the title for low clearances like Chicago!

I beg for NYC loads as, well, for some reason companies PAY EXTRA to go there and I love money! I'll take their money! Most loads don't go to Manhattan but Brooklyn or Long Island. Yeah I'll take their money for these easy loads!
    And believe it or not except for Manhattan you can eat in Brooklyn, Staten Island and Long Island cheaper than at a TA, Petro and Flying J and other truck Stops and BETTER! And there is actually parking all over the place. Just read the freaking signs which many truckers can't do anyway!

If you're a red blooded American Boy they it's leg check season all year around in NYC! Ladies and you gays if you like to look there are whatever you like to watch walking around too! If you lay over in the 5 there is always something to go do! Beats the hello out of sitting in a TV room with a bunch of guys that have no clue as what to do with a free shower coupon! Or eating the same trash in the same restaurants day in and day out. Or sitting at the Vince Lombardi Svc Plaza or any of the dumpy truck stops out side of the city or other service plazas. But for the cost of a bus and subway ride (MTA tickets are $10 or $20 each and rides are $2.50 and time yourself right thats all it will cost you is $2.50 for all day and thats with transfers betweentrains and busses!) there are all kinds of events and shows to go see! Not to mention the history. NYC is one of a few cities that a truck driver can park and go exploring with no trouble as there is a buss in easy walking distance! Googlw NYC MAT and get the map and go from there!

And whats this "forced dispatch" crapola?? If it's their truck then you go where the owner of it tells you to go! It's that simple! A mile is a mile! Grow a pair and go have fun! Forced Dispatch....ROFLMAO!

Just one thing...Buy a paper fold out map of the 5 boroughs! That Rand McNally POS if NYC is just that! A POS! It is an idea of what a map really is! A paper map costs the last time I bought 1 3 years ago was $4.95 and it's tax deductible and you can write on it and it shows ALL the streets in town. Unless you're going to do PT work as a cabbie don't waste you money on those books as turning all those pages can get you in trouble! A computer program can be ok IF you can print it out and GPS?? NOT EVEN! Don't risk anything on a GPS in NYC! I've watched to many rookies screw the pooch trusting those worthless POS toys! Get the fold out paper map!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
    25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    The list of low clearances is Chicago can be found and printed online at a Chicago city website for free,.......

I found the link somewhere on this forum a couple of years ago and printed it out, Just in case I ever needed it,....

4. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    I used to love going into the Burroughs...a challenge to say the least! As for those "low clearances under the bridges...learn like most of us did...the low clearance height is for winter when the snow is on the ground and they haven't had time to load it upa and outa the cities....(just some Italian humor there)!

5. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L
    trucking is not for sissies!

6. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    I've seen this somewhere before....just can't recall where it was!:biggrin_25526:

7. zyk285

zyk285 Medium Load Member

Sep 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    I never had a GPS while driving a truck. I used to Motor Carriers Road Atlas and if I ever had to go into the boroughs I would just use google maps before I went in and I would write detailed directions on how to get in to where I was going and how to get back out. It may take an hour to write up directions like that but it is well worth it. I loved going in to NYC b/c I have always liked a challenge also. I felt like I had actually accomplished something when I could see the NYC skyline in my mirrors. Like someone else said if you get laid over there is usually plenty to do in the city. I got laid over for a day in lower Manhattan one summer right off of 14th and 10th. I had a good time wondering around the city that summer day. Way better than sitting at a boring truck stop or rest area. If you get a NYC load take it! most companies give you extra pay also for going in...

8. Broken Spoke

Broken Spoke Medium Load Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Tucson Arizona
    NY CITY! (get a rope!)

9. hotrod1653

hotrod1653 Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Somewhere in America
    I was talking with a friend of mine on facebook (you know who you are), i plan on taking a NYC load sometime in the near fututre. He was right, there is plenty to do. As far as forced dispatch, NO company can make you go there.

City driving is diffrent than going to an industrial park, with 1,000 feet to back up. Close poles, fire plugs, cars and people. If you can't handle it, why drive a truck?

REDD Thanks this.
  10. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville
    I actually like NYC!

To me it breaks up the same ol' every day routine. NYC will definatly seperate the Men from the weasels

11. Markk9

Markk9 "On your mark"

Nov 26, 2006
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    It's your job to drive a truck, maybe you need to learn how! I drive into NYC one maybe twice a week. Just take your time, it's not that hard. For me it's an extra $100 bucks on top of being paid by the hour. You can not be in a rush driving in a big city.

Mark

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.