Sharing Mississippi water with California would help feed America

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Chinatown, Jun 28, 2022.

1. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    I depend on water from the Sacramento River system to irrigate my almonds. With the cutbacks in irrigation water all we're doing this year is keeping the trees alive. The guy that leases the orchards from me will have 0 income for this season.
    Some of the growers are pulling out older orchards because they don't have enough water allocation to keep them going.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Yes but my point is that getting 30 bales of hay off 10 acres a year (large rounds, my backyard atm) at about 49 acre feet vs 10 acres of almonds at 45 acre feet yeilding 20,000 lb of almonds... (based entirely on snagging a look at google)

One of these is more valuable. And it isnt the hay, so higher water use for lesser useful output in a desert is just plain dumb.

Couple that with there being PLENTY of better places to grow hay, and i can cede that desert climates are better for almonds (not sure we need to be irrigating a desert for them though)

Sorry for your pain, but the world could easily do without almonds if their production means requiring trillion dollar infrastructure (just trying to be realistic about the cost)

4. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.

Interesting numbers. Not terribly accurate and not taking into consideration the type of irrigation though. My almonds are on drip irrigation and it takes considerably less water than sprinklers or flood irrigation. We don't grow in the desert either and the soil type between desert and the northern Sacramento Valley where I am are two distinctly different things.
    And I'm not really in pain. We've had some good years and when we entered a drought cycle we were ready for it. Not happy, but ready.. If you want to feel sorry for somebody feel sorry for my tenant. He'll likely lose everything he owns.

5. skallagrime

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Numbers, im just taking nredfor88's numbers as baseline on water use

# on hay, in our backfield my neighbor cuts, 0 spraying, 0 irrigation, Indiana

as for almond production, see pic

Screenshot_20220630-113802_Chrome.jpg

6. Boondock

Boondock Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2019
    I think California's best bet is desalination if not that why not pump water from the Columbia river?

RockinChair and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  7. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    The real question is which is cheaper to produce: MILK from cows or "milk" from almonds?

Sirscrapntruckalot and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  8. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I worked for the US Bureau of Reclamation as a map maker for over 20 years. I'm more familiar with ,out regarding the issues involved. We've seem this water problem coming for many years.
    Anyway, kudos for the idea, but not very doable given everything that would be involved. That said, in my opinion, the best answer would probably be about 200, 300, 500 desalination plants along the California, Oregon and Washington coast supply desalinated water to coastal communities and then piped further inland.

9. skallagrime

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Looked up some stuff. The estimate is that the carlsbad desalinization plat produces 50 million gallons a day (18.25 billion gallons a year)

california needs about 50 million acre feet a year according to one 2010 study i saw, thats 16.25trillion gallons (ive been using 325k gall per acre ft)

So 890 carlsbad plants for california alone... (though this means 100% desalinisation for absolutely everything)

The plant cost 1 billion, so at a cost of a trillion dollars, california could be relatively water independent through desalinization instead of piping it from mississipi.

Assuming energy costs of 2000$ per acre foot of water to run the plants, thats an operational cost of 100 billion a year after constuction of all 890 plants

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
    gentleroger and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  10. WildTiger1990

WildTiger1990 Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
    If problem was for years then why no one in an office did #### to start fixing a problem?

11. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    California has billions for a a train no one will ride on.
    California has billions for food stamps for illegals.
    California has money to abort (kill) babies from other states.
    But the have no money for desalination plants. Look at what Israel has done with desalination.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.