Sharkey Transportation, Inc. - Quincy, IL.?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by themlilboots, Nov 26, 2006.

1. shayne44x

shayne44x Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2008
    NW Kansas
    I drove for Sharkey about 1 1/2 years. Not a bad company to work for. They are not log book nazis. They let you run pretty much the way you want to. I never took the garantee, my brother-in-law worked for them and told me not to take it. You could make more money and weren't force dispatched. Thatr was when the weekly garantee was $750. If you take the garantee you can bet you'll see a lot of miles in the Chicagoland area. I was on some-what of a General Mills dedicated which I would pick up Wednesday night, Thursday and haul out to different grocery warehouses in Denver, great paying loads if you were on percentage of load pay like I was. The problem I had with them was trying to get back out of Denver each week. When I would get a load it was 90% broker loads which would have me going clear back to Chicago, Detroit, Ohio to dump off. $.22/mile was my cut and took almost 2 days of my week to do it. They have great freight in and around Iowa, Illinois and on east. They are also dedicated to places like Donaldson in Rensellaer, Indiana, General Mills in Galesburg, Illinois, Titan Tire in Rochelle and Des Moines. They were a good company for me, just the problem of sending me to Denver each week to get me home would usually set me up with a crappy broker non-paying joke of a load which put a real damper on my weekly pay-check. If you live anywhere between Kansas City and Columbus, Ohio they will keep you running with good paying freight. If you take the garantee you will find it will be a forced dispatch thing, they will get their monies worth out of you. I usually got 2 days off per week because of where I live and the bad freight in this part of the country. The Macks aren't the fanciest trucks, or the prettiest LOL but they run good and are in most part good running condition. They do have you swing into Quincy about every 3 weeks for service and sometimes that can be like pulling teeth to get in and out of the shop, but decent mechanics none-the-less. They have a trailer shop right next door to General Mills in Galesburg, IL. which is very helpful if you have a problem with any trailers you pull out of there. I ran 14 states for Sharkey, Denver being as far west as I went, Little Rock was as far south, but they do have freight in Texas, and Mid- Ohio(Washington Court House) was as far east as I went. Like I say they are a good company, just wasn't a great fit for me because of where I live. The dispatchers do know you by name, the trucks are decent just ugly, and they will get you home every week if you want, even on garantee, enough for your reset and maybe more. My brother-in-law has 6 years with them and says things are getting better, he went to the mileage pay in place of the percentage/load and says he is making better money and they have since picked up some more freight regulars out west. The web-site says 1 year OTR but they took me with 9 months OTR experience. I decent job with good freight and 1 of only a handful of companies to get you through the house every week. Hope this helps, I still have many of my trips with them if you want some real numbers. Good luck and stay safe out there!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. leemurdock

leemurdock Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Springfield, MO
    Sharkey the real deal: My trainer left Star Transport out of morton, IL to go there. Hometime is excellent he's home every weekend w/o fail. pay is $.35 mi. or be available to run 2700 mi per week and guarnteed pay of 1000 a week. anything over the 2700 mi (figured on a monthly basis) is paid at $.35 per mi. They also have paid medical for your family.

ichiban Thanks this.
  4. Stealth75711

Stealth75711 Bobtail Member

Jan 5, 2009
    In a truck
    I am schedualed with orientation Monday with

Sharkey transport in Quincy, IL

I looked here to make sure it was a good company

and didnt find anything negative about them.....ill see

5. Mortar Man

Mortar Man Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2008
  6. Stealth75711

Stealth75711 Bobtail Member

Jan 5, 2009
    In a truck
    Still looking for work i was gainfully employed til i was layed off in dec

hope i can find work soon..

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  7. He who is called I am

He who is called I am Medium Load Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Da U P Eh, Michigan
    Lemme know how everything is going with sharkey.

8. johnday

johnday Road Train Member

Was getting my HazMat today. As I sat there, the recruiter for Sharkey called me. He told me they had been trying to contact me. Try calling them, sounds like they want some drivers. Good luck.:biggrin_25525:

9. Realtime

Realtime Light Load Member

Dec 9, 2008
    detroit,mi
    where u from i been calling them for the past 3 weeks they say they aint hiring no matter what state i say im from

10. johnday

johnday Road Train Member

I use my house down in Monroe Mi for my mailing address when dealing with companies. When anyone sees Barton City, it's pretty much a given they don't want to talk to me. It's pretty much out of any ones area to get me home.
    Now they called me 3 weeks ago, who knows what may be going on now. Good luck at any rate.

11. truckerswife5591

truckerswife5591 Bobtail Member

Apr 14, 2009
    cincinnati
    Dont even think about working for that company! Nothing on the website is true..My husband has worked for them for a year and no bonus, no guarantee and he has been on the road for 29 days they wont let him come home to see our kids.....STAY AWAY FROM THAT COMPANY THEY SUCK BIG TIME

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.