Shifted load of lumber

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by pavrom, Jun 2, 2023.

1. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    I had accident happened yesterday .
    Got loaded in camden ar to go in shawnee ok .
    It took 2.5 hours of actual loading by 3 different loaders and literally after 30-40miles i noticed that whole front portion of the load leaning on my passenger side conestoga. I had total of 18 bundles of 2x4x10ft loaded on the bottom deck . Took me almost 5 hours to disassemble 2 top bundles and relocate them partially on the upper deck and other place , disconnect the tractor and pull the load from driver side into safer position. I am at the receiver now and they told me its first time they receive load like this , no notes on my bol , ton of pics , no damage to the product . Receiving party mentioned loading problem. I am wondering what i could do to prevent it on my side , maybe put 4x4x8 after first layer . I noticed that bundles were not super tight and 30 percent of them were shifted into leaning state already on the forklift , but after loading the forklift operator ( if i can call him this way ) fixed it all , loaders were pissed off after i requested to eliminate the gap between bundles in the center and make them tight . Manager at the receiver said one of the loader 1 month old another in training.

I am not new to lumber and was securing all kinds of complicated loads and machinery but i have very first time shifted load ... on top of this of lumber of almost perfect shape

Attached Files:

singlescrewshaker, booley, cke and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois

Attached Files:

4. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Road Train Member

Mar 6, 2017
    PA
    Loose banding (not in your control) makes for sloppy bundles - doesn't look like they have any wood on the bottom of the bundles under the bands either, but you had nothing to do with that either. Now, if it was sketchy on the forks before it hit your trailer, that was your time to either refuse the load, or make some changes in how you secured it.

Single straps in the middle over 1st layer would have either tightened up the bottom bundles or shown the problem before the top bundles were loaded. 2" ratchet around both bottom bundles may have helped tighten them up also. 2x4's take a lot more to keep from moving around than 2x6's, and if you try to go too tight, it will want to make the bundle want to go round also, but at least the top wouldn't continue to telescope out sideways.

Hindsight is 20/20 and easy to armchair critic, but you didn't have enough securement.

5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    I can’t tell by the pics, but did you alternate the tie downs, left to right, then right to left?

6. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    I did allot of Amish wood loads going to pallet factories. Lots of stacks and sometimes a pain. I learned quick to over secure. Threw in my 2” straps (I carried a bunch of) to supplement. Cinch strapped as well to compliment. Looked like an amateur with all the straps, but it’s what I needed to make it work. When I was done the banding would get loose. - Proof that it really was never tight to start with.

7. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    Yes

8. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    I think securing first layer would help as well as 4x4 on top ... I just recalled another load of lumber having 1x1s strapped on all 2 sides ..

9. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    I ran super B & 40/20 on the Oregon coast & mts hauling lumber. Outfit policy was strap first tier & left to right always.
    You can't use too many straps.

10. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Road Train Member

Mar 6, 2017
    PA
    I'm allergic or react to either the fresh cut hickory, or whatever happened to be on it, but still crawled all over threading my straps. Was trying to make it a regular run, but the English guy that did the receiving on the other end for them was just a plain old miserable #######.

IMG_1283.JPG

11. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I’ve hauled bags of product, picture mulch, that looked like it was leaning a bit and used my pipe stakes to make sure.

Looks like you had a rough go of it. I’ve never met a soul that cinch straps stacked lumber before, but in your case it would have been helpful.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.