"Shop fees"

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Kenworth6969, Jun 27, 2022.

1. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Or wait until your shop does a multi-thousand dollar rebuild and the customer either won't pay or wants to pay it off a piece at a time. Under our state law a mechanic's lien is a possibility but by the time you wade through that process you're still left with a customer who can't or won't pay his bill. The cheap-skate SOB comes around whining about how bad things are and we charge too much and he's in serious trouble and then he drives off in his wife's new Escalade.
    If you're lucky you can sell the truck for enough to recoup your costs but it's a lousy way to try and make a profit.
    Our shop solved that problem by never getting in so deep on repair costs that a lien wouldn't cover everything. That, and hardly ever working for somebody we didn't know. Our company trucks came first, then the outside customers.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chieftains

Chieftains Medium Load Member

Jul 18, 2021
    If shops weren't so profitable they wouldn't be in business. Close up an find something else to do.

It's good money if you have a good location and mechanics.

@Kenworth6969 man it happens no arguing will ever fix that. Same with book time bs. Says book states 7hrs. They finish in 1hr.
    Charge you 6 extra hours

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    The getting stiffed for payment thing is what's kept me away from going out on my own. A couple of those could wipe out a one man show. A shop or chain of shops with a dozen or more employees can absorb those a little better.

5. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Threads like these remind me of why so many of the mechanic members on here don't even bother to post or contribute anymore...........

6. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Cant believe some drivers hatred of mechanics and shops ...if they hate paying the shop so much maybe they should learn to do stuff themselves !

jason6541, Opendeckin, peterd and 25 others Thank this.
  7. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    It's true, a bigger shop can absorb that and we're big enough not to get stung too bad. But that isn't the point. The shop, just like the trucks, or the Cats, or the fire wagons, has to show a profit on a fairly continual basis. If you get a slow time or a no-pay time it takes awhile to make that back up. The people the shop uses for vendors don't cut us much slack on payments.
    Luckily I don't deal with the shop end of things too much. Our chief mechanic is good at keeping costs in line and he's been here longer than I have and there's no need for me to ride him about anything.
    The P&L statements come across my desk every month and there's usually more green ink than red. I pass the statements off to the bean counter and she does what she does best which is double checking the figures, paying off the bills , and otherwise giving the whole thing a good leaving alone. ;)

8. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    A lot of the same folks whining about shop rates are the first ones to cry about $2/mile loads. Ok for thee to work for free but not me.

9. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    They hate them till they need them at 2 am 60 miles from nowhere and it's 30° then when he spends 4 hrs trying to fix they junk truck cause they never did any PM on it since they owned it because they think their getting raped every time they have to pull their truck In a shop
    So then they come on here crying about a service call and how they got bent over
    But by God they want their freight broker to pay them for the roller dogs & tissue kleenex they use when their pulling a load..
    Talk about 2 faced hippocrates

Oxbow, jason6541, peterd and 13 others Thank this.
  10. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    It's not as much as the fee as it was about them hiding it from me until the end.

I asked how much it would cost to get this done and all they told me was their fees were on the board and it would be their minimum of 1/2 hour labor & tax.

It was not disclosed to me when I asked prior to the job nor was it listes on their board posting of fees.

11. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    Next time I show up to a shipper that wants their load tarped in 100 degrees I will call up the broker after showing up and say I need a revised rate con including "drivers fees" covering extra roller dogs and icy drinks.

:rolleyes:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.