Short Lived Trucking Career

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Zedekiah, Jan 27, 2022.

1. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Well, I'll tell ya', years ago, you could actually TALK to a new employer about your driving, and THEY would make the determination whether to hire you. Not so today. You are merely a name on a data bank with this many infractions and a red flag right off the bat. With insurance rates devastating companies today, they simply can't even afford to give you a try. Doesn't sound like anything too major, but companies just can't take a chance. You are part of the "averages" and history has shown, to them, someone with this many problems, more than likely has a biggie a coming. You don't sound like you're a really bad driver, considering what we see here, but I think you're screwed. A clean record is required today, no gray areas anymore.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    There are always 1099 companies that don't use DAC and will hire you with clean mvr. Your trucking career is not over

4. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    Some people aren't meant to be truck drivers, sounds like you're one of those people.

Last Call and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Jesus.....I have harped on quality training over and over in many of these threads. The feds worry so much abour getting drug users off the road, which really aint thay many, how about pushing the need for traing new drivers better? That keeps proving to be a far larger problem in my opinion. If I were a company owner, I don't know that I would have put an inexperienced driver on a Dollar General or Family Dollar account. Some of those stores require unbelievable skill to get into. That said, I don't think your time trucking is over, but you may have to take whatever company will give you a chance, even if it ain't the best one. Like the other members said, insurance will determine that. Somebody will take a chance on you, but you need to go back out with a trainer for a little while longer, and if you're not getting practice or learning anything, request a different trainer. We all make mistakes in the early going but we all gotta get taught something in this industry.

201, JolliRoger, Last Call and 2 others Thank this.
  6. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    Driving mistakes are pretty easy to fix. Decision making isn’t. You’re making poor decisions. You just need to settle down, calm your nerves and think through what you need to do. Plan things out. Look at a satellite view on Google maps so you can see what’s around your destination and how best to get there.

That said, I don’t understand why these companies put new drivers on these Dollar General, or similar, accounts. They have to know they’re setting themselves up for trouble.

7. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Because the drivers that have been there for a bit know better and the new drivers don’t.

8. Professor No-Name

Professor No-Name Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2016
    When you do find a company to give you a shot, if they offer you some retraining then take it. If you believe you're not getting proper training in any specific area then ya need to speak up.

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Hindsight is 20/20 and now you know why we tell new drivers to avoid Dollar General accounts.
    Anyway, on applications refer to what happened as "incidents" from now on.

10. rpad139

rpad139 Heavy Load Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ca
    Do team driving, less backing, extra help if you need a spotter.

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Submit applications on the trucking company websites before any phone calls. This way all the information is in the trucking company computer, when you do call.
    ~
    Phone number & address is on this website. May have to Fax or Email a job application.
    Merrell Transport LLC USDOT 2266737 - Tulsa, Oklahoma ...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.