Should company pay layover for 34hr reset while out on road?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Lennythedriver, Nov 9, 2021.

1. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I’m pretty sure this is probably been asked here before, but I’m curious for one if your company would pay for a 34 hour reset if you’re out on the road and have to sit in a truckstop for a day and a half? I mean after all you’re babysitting their equipment and probably their load. It’s not like you’re home kicking back with your feet up and sleeping in your bed.
    If they don’t pay, have you asked? What did they say? What’s their grand justification for not paying? My company doesn’t and I’m thinking to press them on it. It’s not like it’s fun sitting in some crappy urine smelling truckstop with nothing to do for two days babysitting their stuff. Lol
    They ran my hours out, they made money on me, “wheels turning” why not pay when I sit for THEM?

Wargames Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    If I’m on the road and need to take a 34 I get a motel room to get out of the truck. But I can understand company drivers not wanting to do that anymore since they can no longer deduct the expense on their taxes.

But to your original question. When I was a company driver we were home almost every weekend. We only ran the NW states and western Canada. If something happened and we couldn’t come home for whatever reason they would pay for us to get a room at least one of the nights because we would usually end up sitting somewhere for a day.

Are they scheduling you in a way that is forcing you to take a 34 or could you get away with running recap? If they’re dispatching you so that you make out your 70 quick then I’d see no harm in asking about it. Or slow down and run recap so you don’t have to take a 34. If it’s a big company I don’t see them doing anything to benefit you. Just my opinion.

Lennythedriver Thanks this.
  4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    My feelings would be up to company policy. If they allow PC of the truck and you can go around town and do stuff then they don't owe money. If they don't allow you to go anywhere they sure they should pay. After all it's their policy that is keeping you in the truck.

spindrift, Bean Jr. and Lennythedriver Thank this.
  5. Lennythedriver

Feb 14, 2020
    I typically run 2 to 4 weeks at a time. And yes I run recaps most of the time but about once or twice a month I’ll run out of hours within 5 1/2 to 6 days. So there’s no choice but to sit. Sometimes I could run on a recap but I might have like five hours to divide up over two days or something. Lol

Long FLD Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I had a choice of a motel room or $50.00 plus meals.
    I always took the $50.00 vs the motel room.

beastr123 Thanks this.
  7. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    I would assume you also made money during the week if you are out of hours right? You should have turned in well over 3300 miles if you’re out of hours.

I personally don’t mind doing a reset on the road if I’m out of hours, after 3600 miles I’m pretty well beat usually.

If I’m sitting due to no load or a customer that’s closed, I like that significantly less, but tough #### I guess. We get paid a minimum monthly salary so we get zero breakdown or layover pay.

We do have full use of PC though so o usually will go do laundry and grocery shopping bobtail.

8. Lennythedriver

Feb 14, 2020
    I’m going to keep this in mind and test using PC next time I find myself in that situation. That would’ve made sitting much more pleasant as I’m sure I could’ve found something to do. Although with a 53 foot trailer parking arrangements are usually limited. Lol

kylefitzy Thanks this.
  9. Capacity

Capacity Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Neenah Wi
    I got paid my day rate , hotel and 3 meals.
    Just like any other work day.

10. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    I just drop and lock it in the very back of the truck stop. Doing that in the small city truck stops might get your trailer towed. But I wouldn’t be doing a reset in a place like that anyway.

11. Lennythedriver

Feb 14, 2020
    Nice! You work for a noble company no doubt

12. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    My company will pay drives $100 for 34 hour reset if they don't get you home. You have to be in their 7 day a week OTR fleet. Basically they will run your 70 hours out by Saturday evening and not get you home. So you get $100 extra and they have you rolling again Monday morning for another 70 hour week. They give you 30 miles of PC but don't say if a daily limit just can't drive more then 30 miles or 1 hour on PC.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.