Should I believe what this company is telling me?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Nyseto, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I echo this and add a couple of other things, this can be worst than the navy, a lot worst.

The other thing is reality is more than just going to school and getting a cdl, a lot of people think they can drive a truck but they suck at it and some are down right dangerous on the road. Many of those are desperate to make a buck to pay the bills, and blame the company or the industry for their failure.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Nyseto

Nyseto Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2018
    I’m already working for about 60% of what my job pays. Even being fresh out of school and on the road, I’ll still make double the money compared to what I’m making now. I understand to not get my hopes up and think I’m gonna make so much money with trucking but it’s still a vast improvement over what I’m currently making now. It’s almost like coming from McDonald’s to trucking.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. Omega7777

Omega7777 Medium Load Member

May 21, 2018
    your story is about the same as my story. i was always a wanderer and never able to settle. at 26 , you are actually still early to start fresh. i have a strong feeling that truvking is the one for you ! if you could convince your gf to do it with you then it would be perfect, more money, and it gets easier out here on the road. i have no experience with sponsored cdl school but only advice is, dont search for the perfect place, just have the right mindset then you will excel no matter what

Schoob and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. jeff18

jeff18 Medium Load Member

Dec 8, 2014
    pittsburgh, pa
    you will be fine. i would try melton and prime though. good luck and welcome

Schoob Thanks this.
  6. Omega7777

May 21, 2018
    trust me it is not how much passive income you could generate, how much you could save (dead money), but how would you able to invest. Trucking is great because it allows you to downsize everything to minimal and prevent you to spend all ur money. you dont need a place to stay and 0 utillities bills. you dont really need a car if you could borrow it when you are at home and also dont have to pay for insurance...such and such.

faux_maestro Thanks this.
  7. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    At least McDonald’s gives you a discount on your meals. There are no free meals here. Hell, I could eat a steak dinner at home. For what McDonalds charges us for the crap they call food.

Expenses are a huge factor on the road. They’ll eat half your check if you don’t quickly learn how to buy and prep food on the truck.

A normal 3 meal day would cost you better than $40 per day in a restaurant. I stress normal.

8. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    ####! I’m doing this wrong. I pay over $2k in insurance every year.

9. Omega7777

May 21, 2018
    dont think i mentioned anything about what is right or wrong. just some ideas for someone with 0 in the bank account and want to have a fresh start

10. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    The only way you are going to be able to drive a 9 day schedule legally is to do that 8 + hours a day thing. At best with Swift, you won't be able to get much more than 450 miles a day doing that. You get caught in a traffic jam or some other kind of problem you're going to lose driving time. because you MUST get off the road once that 8 + hours is gone. I highly recommend you speak to some of the Swift drivers in this forum before you do a lot of planning. They can tell you what swifts policy is on this. Doing this can also cause you to have a service failure. If you don't have the available hours to do a 1000 or more mile run that's going to be a problem. And yes, when that electronic log says shut it down you will comply!

11. Omega7777

May 21, 2018
    probably some drivers out are squeezing 14 instead of 11 hours by "bad" weather and off duty driving ;)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.