should i find a new job?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by oney1, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    If you get fired call Opie http://www.truckersjustice.com/

Refusal to Drive

The STAA (Surface Transportation Assistance Act) (which also covers whistleblower cases), gives truck drivers the right to refuse to drive a commercial vehicle when it would violate the law to do so (for example, driver fatigue or illness, unwillingness to participate in an illegal activity, or a reasonable belief that a vehicle is unsafe because of worn tires, missing headlights, or low air pressure in brake system). STAA is supposed to protect drivers by preventing firing or other retaliatory action from truck companies; but you may need a truck employment lawyer to really get enforcement of the Act.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ShortBusKid

ShortBusKid Heavy Load Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Vegas
    Just my two cents and pretty much has already been said, get out now. Your either going to hurt yourself or somebody else. It's one thing to nurse a minor problem a few miles to the shop but being expected to run with major problems every day is nuts. I've delivered out in the Vernal area a few times and you're nuts to drive a truck with the problems you've described. Even if you had to go drive over the road for a bottom feeder for a couple years you would have a clean record and be able to support your family. You can't do either locked up or dead.

4. oney1

oney1 Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Vernal is actualy where our yard is lol i called dispatch and was told no work tonight so no pics but i was told im not fired but the boss is really pissed at me for all the problems i seem to have with the trucks so it may not be long untill im looking again anyway and the more i think about it the more problems i find with the trucks. Even their best truck is a pos btw just wondering. If you let out the clutch and the king pin nails the fith wheel plate real hard is that also bad? I dont just dump the clutch. I let it out real easy. But it seems the ki.g pin should be tight in there and shouldnt klunk so hard.

5. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    Some king pins don't fit supper tight and if you carrieing liquid they might klunk a LITTLE. To much wiggle room and they could pop out. make sure the 5th is locking around the thinner part of the kinkpin with the wider flange under. Also make sure there is no gap between top of 5th and bottom of trailer. It might klunk a little but not much. If it clunks enough orthe jaws are not fully wrapping around the pin the trailer could easily fall off. If the jaws dont fully close your not DOT legal. If the kink pin is so worn it doesn't fit snug, that against dot to. Assuming your going forward it not banking the late, it banging the jaws. On a stop it will klunk into the plate.

Quick rule of thumb. If it looks unsafe, it is, and its against DOT.

6. KW Cajun

KW Cajun Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Copperhead Road
    The reality is, from the sound of it and what typically happens, you most likely will be fired very soon if you stand your ground, tho if the owner is "street smart" he won't make it appear you were dismissed for complaining/refusing to drive defective equipment. In situations as yours, I've learned the necessity of daily detailed notekeeping as well as keeping a copy of all my DVIR (inspection) sheets, showing the detailed defects. The more documentation (and pics) you have all along, the better. I'm sure up until now, you probably haven't done this. But also find another safer gig, asap!

Richter is correct on the fifth wheel info, but it wasn't clear if you meant it slams the kingpin bad when pulling forward, or backing, or both.
    Going forward the kingpin will slam against the locking jaws. (It should not slam or move that excessively, btw)

To check how much movement there is, set your trailer brakes only, pull up a bit allowing the kingpin to be against the locking jaws, set your tractor brakes, then get out and mark the bottom of the trailer's apron plate where it meets the front of the fifth wheel plate. Then get back in truck, release your tractor brakes only, and back up a tad, so the kingpin is against the front of the fifth wheel plate. Set tractor brakes and measure distance from your first line to the front edge of fifth wheel plate.

In any case, you should not have excessive clunking or slamming of the kingpin/fifth wheel. Inspect it well, starting from the mounting bolts on up to slider jaw engagement/rails, kingpin pivot bushings, and on to the locking jaws themselves.

7. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    Im hoping your asking this to have more knowledge at your next job and not to see if its ok to roll with a defective truck where your at.

8. oney1

oney1 Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Im askin the questions to learn for no matter where i go or even if i buy a truck. And it slams both ways ill remember to take a mesurement next time i drive a truck this way.

9. KW Cajun

KW Cajun Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Copperhead Road
    The measurement gives you an accurate indication of how much forward-backward slop is in there, but realize the main part is close inspection of the parts, any observed wear & tear, and how the jaws look when they are locked. I also inspect the fifth wheel bare (before hooking) without a trailer and also the trailer's kingpin & apron plate before coupling, especially if there's a bad clunk or other bad indications.
    The key is knowing where to look, and all the various things to look for.

10. oney1

oney1 Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Unfortunately the trailers i use normaly come uncoupled only to get greased every couple of weeks by the mechanic or his helper and otherwise are permanantlt coupled to the truck.

KW Cajun Thanks this.
  11. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    Usually if you even have to ask....... yes u do

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.