Should I get my CDL-A?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by ksubijeans, Feb 25, 2020.

1. ksubijeans

ksubijeans Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2020
    Hello I have a question. I have 11 points on my license, the most recent accident is a calendar year ago. There was 1.1k in property damage and the vehicle was totaled and it was my personal vehicle, no one else was invloved. The one before that is 2 calendar years ago, I ran red and hit a car with 5 people in it, again vehicle was totaled but no injuries. I am 20y/o and thinking about getting a CDL-A. With my driving record would this field of work be worth my time or should I wait until these points roll off.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Honestly I'd say no, at least right now. First you need to be 21 to drive across state lines with your CDL. I'd take the time right now, to clean up both your MVR and save up some money to pay for the classes. That way you won't be subject to carriers that have training facilities.

meechyaboy Thanks this.
  4. I glide 47

I glide 47 Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Might want to rethink driving period? Two wrecks in two years !that's more than the I've had in sixty!

5. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    I give it to youth. I had some stupid ones early on, and not an at fault accident since. Honestly, two of my early ones I still to this day don't feel were my fault, but sadly by the letter of the law they were.

First one was blue haired driver stopping at the start of an on ramp on a blind curve with a 50MPH speed, because they were too scared to merge. Second, was crossing a dark interstate with a motorcycle that had 2 head lights that were set just perfect to look like a car's headlights over another 1000+ feet away.

6. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Many of us had wild younger years and we have made it a long way, hopefully you settle down, if you are serious about trucking you will, go for it.

austinmike Thanks this.
  7. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Go to college or join the military

8. Last Time Around

Last Time Around Medium Load Member

Jun 9, 2018
    11 points and multiple accidents. NO

Odin's Rabid Dog Thanks this.
  9. ksubijeans

Feb 22, 2020

10. ksubijeans

Feb 22, 2020
    What if i want to do intrastate trucking?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.