Should I go to a $2000 school or sign one year contract?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Richhoop, May 10, 2019.

1. Richhoop

Richhoop Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2019
    I'm having an extremely hard time trying to figure out whether I should go to a local non accredited CDL school that has excellent reviews, and is extremely reasonably priced at $2000. The name of the school is Austin CDL Services. I'm considering signing with a company like Prime (so far their at the top of my list) for a year as a second option. I know that I would come out more experienced with a 1 year contract. Not sure if I would be hired right after getting my CDL with around 15 hours behind the wheel. Any advise on what I should do would be much appreciated. I'm not stuck on Prime so any advise on other companies would be much appreciated too.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Richhoop

Richhoop Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2019
    I'm having an extremely hard time trying to figure out whether I should go to a local non accredited CDL school that has excellent reviews, and is extremely reasonably priced at $2000. The name of the school is Austin CDL Services. I'm considering signing with a company like Prime (so far their at the top of my list) for a year as a second option. I know that I would come out more experienced with a 1 year contract. Not sure if I would be hired right after getting my CDL with around 15 hours behind the wheel. Any advise on what I should do would be much appreciated. I'm not stuck on Prime so any advise on other companies would be much appreciated too.

4. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    I would pay the $2k and do the private school... that way if you find you hate prime you can go elsewhere... prime sucks anyway. @Chinatown will know some good starter companies.

5. The Gels

The Gels Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2019
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    2 grand is pretty good, actually. You'll more than make that back up in a year.

rabbiporkchop and Richhoop Thank this.
  6. DenBob

DenBob Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    I would only do company training and a 1 yr. contract if there were no other option. But that's me. I couldn't be in a position where quitting would cost me wages already earned.

Richhoop Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Do you live in Texas?
    How many hours is the $2000.00 school?

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Western Express hires from short schools and choice of dry van or flatbed.
    Here's two companies with their own cdl school that I really like in Texas and they both provide meals and lodging, plus a good job.
    Western Dairy Transport - www.wdtmilk.com
    FFE (Frozen Food Express - www.ffeinc.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~Western Dairy Transport~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Frozen Food Express~~~~~~~~
    [​IMG].[​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    x1Heavy and Richhoop Thank this.
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    FFE also has oil field trucks:
    [​IMG].[​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. iraqralph43

iraqralph43 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    A lot of states...will pay most or all cdl school cost ...if you are unemployed...check with your state unemployment office...had a friend in Georgia who did this

Richhoop Thanks this.
  11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Oay the money. You'll end up making more at the end of the year.
    Any mega that offers schooling also has very low pay.
    For example if you run 100,000 miles in your first year a nickel difference in pay is $5,000. Most places pay more than a nickel more per mile.

Richhoop Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.