Should I go to private school, or company run to start?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by darinmac38, Feb 2, 2019.

1. darinmac38

darinmac38 Light Load Member

Feb 2, 2019
    My situation is this. There is a private school just ten miles from me, based out of Raleigh. Carolina Trucking Academy. It has good reviews, runs about $4000 for completion. I have no driving experience, but this is something I have thought about for a long time. I'm ready to go and in a good place in life to do it.

Is it foolish to just pay for my own CDL training and then apply? Should I apply to the larger companies first?

My goal for going to this way is hopefully with my CDL in hand I can apply for some dedicated routes right out of the gate.
    My driving record is clear, criminal record was one domestic violence charge that was dismissed through a deferral program three years ago. (Ridiculous situation as I was innocent, wrong place wrong time, but technically is shows on my record as dismissed) no tickets, no accidents, no DUI's no other criminal marks on my record. I am 50 years old and in prime health, and physical condition.

Employment, been primarily self employed the past few years, living off investments etc.

I would likely be ok with directly applying to trucking companies and then going to their schools, etc, but from what I've read, I'd need to OTR for six months or more before trying for a dedicated route? I'm in a position to pay out of pocket for school as well.

Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Nukem

Nukem Road Train Member

May 11, 2014
    If you have the money, grant, or other such means to pay for your CDL first, that will open up your doors tremendously. If you go a with a company sponsored, then your stuck with them until the terms of contract are over with. You will essentially be a slave to them for at least the first year.

Getting it on your own, you have the ability to pick a decent company right from the start. Now there is added expenses. Your medical cert, may or may not be covered by the school in question. Endorsements (I suggest Hazmat and Tanker at the very least.) etc...

But if the school covers all that, then I would say go for it on your own, then do the research and find a company that will work with new CDL holders.

@Chinatown might chime in if you need some help in finding a company that will work with you. He's the local Guru headmaster bossman when it comes to finding companies. :p

4. darinmac38

Feb 2, 2019
    Could the dismissed DV charge be an issue? Dismissed means dismissed, and it was...but these days even being arrested seems to be held against people like a conviction. And my work history. It's scattered as I've worked for myself a number of years.

Tombstone69 Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Raven Transport > Apply On Company Site
    Raven Transport hires Raleigh drivers.
    Contact Raven Transport and ask if they hire from that school you're interested in.
    $60,000 - $75,000 a year - www.raventransport.com
    For those brand-new CDL drivers graduating from a National Publicly Funded Truck Driving School, we have a program for you; earn while you train (6-8 weeks) and then $.41.5 CPM until you make the one-year experience level. Paid orientation. Rider program and Pet Policy available.
    Our equipment is late model tractors equipped with APU’s, Inverters, refrigerators and lots of living space. 60% of our fleet are automatics with the balance being 10-speed Eaton transmissions. Our fleet is governed at 70 mph. We have no inward facing cameras.

Tombstone69, Nukem and darinmac38 Thank this.
  6. Nukem

Nukem Road Train Member

May 11, 2014
    To be honest, I'm not sure, but that won't keep you from getting your CDL at first.

Get your CDL, then worry about the past.

Chinatown and darinmac38 Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Your CDL is the keys to the Kingdom.

Go get it on your own. That way you have it free and clear and beholden to no company at all. Because this industry is MOST UNSTABLE in terms of the potential to lose your employment.

Once you have it and realize the enormity of what you don't yet learn, do whatever you can to protect that CDL.

darinmac38 Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That's true. Plenty of jobs will be available once you graduate from cdl school.
    Be honest on the applications; some may not ask about any "dismissed charges" anyway. About the DV charge, if asked; "Yes, but there was nothing to it, so it was dismissed."
    As for spotty work history, you were working for cash doing landscaping work, helping paint houses, working on cars, etc.
    You were a property manager, managing your own rental properties.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    darinmac38 Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    EPES Transport > Apply On Company Site
    $83,000 a year
    Trainees must be recent grad from approved CDL school.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Scholastic Book Fairs - home daily
    Click here for more information > Apply On Company Site
    For those with a CDL but less than1-year of verifiable, commercial driving experience, we have a paid Driver Trainee program, this is a great opportunity to get road experience.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    All the below hire new cdl graduates on a case by case basis. Submit applications as soon as you get a class start date. You can apply as a student in cdl school. The more applications you submit, the better.
    Senn Freight Lines
    Roadtex Transportation
    Carolina Cargo Freight - www.carolinacargofreight.com
    Southern Refrigerated Transport
    Carolina Logistics Inc. - www.carolinalogistics.net
    Western Express
    Celadon
    Lily Transportation
    Inman Trucking Co.
    WLA Inc.
    Cooke Trucking Company
    Mountain River Trucking
    Carolina Southern - High Point, NC

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    darinmac38 Thanks this.
  10. darinmac38

Feb 2, 2019
    I own two properties and managed them as vacation rentals and this provided me a decent living. Airbnb stuff. I worked hard in my younger years and have some investments. The DV, was ridiculous. A girl I dated, we were broke up three weeks, her car broke down, of course I rescued her on side of road. She, "hey lets grab dinner and drinks" like idiot, I go for it. Take her home to drop her off, she wants me to come in, I decline, she smacks me in face with a mug, splits my eye open, I open the door to my car and push her out off of me. (parked car) she's not hurt, I never hit her, just got the psycho off me. Of course she's buzzed, she's screaming, a neighbor calls the cops. Cops show up, she puts on a big act, as originally they were gonna arrest her. I told police exactly what I just typed here and next thing I know for the first time in my life? It's off the jail for two days. $10,000 later, it's dismissed.

Don't date crazy my brothers! LOL. She missed up my life for over years over that simple stupid incident.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  11. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    If it were me I'd put that 4grand away, and save it for a down payment on my own truck.It's going to take at least a year to make some of the mistakes your going to make, I've never been to school(unless you count the Hard Knock Institute)but I've seen drivers that went and they could fill out a nice logbook, but couldn't get it through the gears.My argument and I'm sure I'll get some heat,is you'll get real world experience in a real world environment.Sign on to a company with a good reputation and manual transmission trucks,get an education and get paid for it.The main thing is you will get a chance to see if trucking is for you.If it was as anal and uptight as it is today, I'd have run.It's not for everyone. Holler out for Chinatown and he'll help.Before you sign anything binding get a second or third opinion,take your time, do the research, you'll be glad you did and you'll still have that 4k to fall back on.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.