Should I replace left front steer tire

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 77fib77, Apr 8, 2018.

1. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    To each their own I guess. I wouldn't risk it over $1000 for a set of tires. Neither will the company I work for.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    Replace?

4. joey8686

joey8686 Light Load Member

Jul 1, 2014
    Just keep an eye on it to see if it gets any Worse, if it stays the same leave it n don’t worry about it....

5. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    I would. My boss would.

The likelihood of it coming apart is probably pretty low. And DOT probably wouldn't say much if they saw it. But, you said you're an O/O, do you want your livelihood riding on a maybe? Suppose it flies apart at 65 mph, and the pieces cause another person to wreck and die. Could you live with being a cheapskate? (Perhaps I'm being a bit dramatic) Could you afford the financial loss if such a thing happened and some ambulance chasing lawyer comes calling? I know some would say run it, and they may get away with it. Good for them. I've never had great luck when taking chances at anything.

6. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I've got 3 - 4 chunks just like that missing on on each of my front tires. Mine are the latest Michelin X steers. I'm approaching 200k miles on my Columbia. On my KW I got a chunk like that at 50k mi,.. then another at 75k,.. and so on and so on. No issues.

As long as no cords are showing run it. I do a lot of off road sites, construction sites, steel mills, etc etc. Its pretty common for me.

At first I was concerned like you. This is my 3rd set of Michelin steers and all of them had chunks like that missing by the time I get to 200k miles. They still give me discounts when I turn them in for new steers. They said as long as no cords are exposed and no sidewall damage,.. all good.

Hurst

Bean Jr., 77fib77 and shogun Thank this.
  7. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    This^^^^^^. @77fib77 If you don’t like steer tires that chunk out, don’t ever buy those Bridgestone 283 Ecopia, that tire is horrible for that. I have put over 150k on a couple sets of tires that look worse than that.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    Hurst Thanks this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    but that's a gouge, not a cut, there is no real damage other than the tread is out of that area.

The two really important things to look for is losing air pressure and cords exposed.

77fib77 and Hurst Thank this.
  9. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

Agreed. Never had cords exposed on a steer,.. but have had it happen on drives and trailer.
    If I see cords,.. I go get it replaced as soon as I can.

I understand his concern being on a steer. Its the one tire you dont want to fool around with. That said,.. if he wants to be 100% safe,.. then go replace it. How ever from my perspective,.. I've seen chunks like that missing from all my steers and I still go 200 - 230k on them and never an issue.

For me I never replace just one steer. I do both at the same time,.. so right there is $1100 - $1200,.. poof. I guess I'm gonna need to have a steer come apart or blow out on me before I replace one over a small chunk.

Hurst

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  10. fargonaz

fargonaz Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Mesa, AZ
    Suppose a rabid squirrel hides in your truck and waits for you to start driving before biting you. That's one vicious squirrel.

11. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl

They no longer make the 283. Now they make a 283A that supposedly won't chunk like that. Ask me in a few months if its true. Just put a set on.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    Hurst and shogun Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.