Should I wait to become an Owner Op? Will truck prices lower?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Meriton1108, Jan 12, 2022.

1. Meriton1108

Meriton1108 Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2022
    Been thinking about buying a truck. I already have my authority but I’m holding off a bit b/c the prices of these trucks are outrageously high. Not sure what to do. Been looking all over on fb, the internet, different dealerships but I just can’t seem to make up my mind. Don’t want to jump the gun and buy a truck that’s not worth the price. Any advise is greatly appreciated!

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    Its sellers market now!

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  4. pumpkinishere

pumpkinishere Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2021
    Now doesn’t seem the time for buying a truck. Unless you have your eye on one or you find a good deal. I would not pay these crazy prices right now. Blessed we bought right before the crazy prices began. Are you driving now? It may just be best to let your authority age a little bit until you find a decent truck.

Meriton1108 and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  5. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Buy a '90's FLD for about $15k and get to work.!

If you ain't a Mo Ron, & pick a decent one, you'll be in the green by the end of the month..

JoeyJunk, Jed2009, Meriton1108 and 5 others Thank this.
  6. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Can't buy something that moves for 15k right now hardly

7. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Bought this pile 10/13 on the cheap.
    Granted the cost was double of my 1st FLD @ $8k in Dec. 17 when the eld mandate hit..
    Not saying she's a desirable rig to most, but suits me fine..

IMG_8578.jpg

JoeyJunk, Jed2009, Speedy356 and 9 others Thank this.
  8. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Questions
    So is your Authority active? Meaning you have insurance?

9. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    I've lost more money waiting for things than if I would have just did it in my life.

Get rolling driver. Those prices aren't coming down anytime soon with the way interest rates are.

Make life easy and offer 85% and settle for 90% of list in this market. Add 3 if financing is involved.

10. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Only bad thing about that is it’s a 112 and not a 120.

11. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I say this everytime, don't put the cart ahead of the horse. I may be out of the loop, but in this situation, some things remain universal. Not sure what, if anything you have in mind to haul, but unless your last name is Rockefeller, or Amazon and with trucks costing $200 GRAND, or more, you better have an ironclad account. The truck is the least of your concerns. Insurance, taxes, repairs, astronomical operating costs, competing with megas, distracted drivers, drug programs, only makes this the absolute worst time to be $200 grand in the hole..
    If you simply must, heck, like marriage, I didn't listen either, O'O's are failing left and right today, an indication it's not the best idea, get a older truck from the owner. STAY AWAY FROM A DEALER!!! The owner can usually tell you honestly what they did and what it might need. In many cases, it was their "baby". It's a lot easier bailing on $20 grand, than $200 grand, trust me. Take your pick, they are all about the same. I'd go with an older KWhopper, only because you have a shred of resale, and the dealers are probably the best, even though, that's not saying much. Best of luck. With all the great company jobs Chinatown posts, I'd hate to say it, but only a fool would buy a truck today.

12. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    Best of luck to you sir whatever direction you decide to go in.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.