Should I wash my truck/trailer every other week?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Regional, Jun 2, 2020.

1. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Depending on weather forecast. Once a month.
    In the winter after a warmer spell with wet dirty roads, if the forecast is for below zero, then I'll wash it as it will stay clean for weeks if it stays really cold out.
    This time of year, could be weekly or less if hauling fertilizer.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    We had it made going into the dairies being most let you wash your truck with all the tank wash water.

Hot steamy well lit stalls in the dead of winter.

Good hot water to get a thousand pounds of snow and ice off

Work would pay me $20 to wash our tankers I had it down and could do a thorough job in 20 minutes.

Than I would hit my tractor. Even if I got in the dairy at 3 am I would wash while getting unloaded and washed out .

Meanwhile Had dinner going in the oven.

Pull out , eat , relax and watch tv. Turn the phone off and Jump in the sack . Sleep till 1-2 , make brunch than grab a shower and some fuel down the road and head 400 miles home.

Good life hauling milk being you had safe overnight parking out in the country at the dairies most all the time.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    bzinger Thanks this.
  4. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019
    I want that life.

tommymonza Thanks this.
  5. Professor No-Name

Professor No-Name Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2016
    It also for some people depends on whose footin the bill. Not all companies reimburse for washes on the road. Ours don't. They have a wash bay at our yard and they expect us to use it. Problem is the guys there don't do a good job so i pay for it myself once a month on the road and have it done at our yard when we've got the time. I just make sure an hand wipe my polished rims off when it's done at the yard.

tommymonza and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  6. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    i wash mine when it rains (tains).

bryan21384, tommymonza and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  7. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    It doesn’t generally get much colder than 30 down here in the winters but we do have days of 20’s and teens. But who wants to wash a truck outside in 40 and below temps? Brrrrrrrr! Never!
    Summer whenever it needs it. We can go months without rain so rinse off the dust and towel dry is all that is needed. This year is an exception. Rain almost everyday and another Gulf storm coming later this week. Just gotta give up on the clean sometimes.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  8. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I wash mine quite frequently, weekly. Sometimes I have to go bi weekly. I like to stay looking good. Image is everything. I like to get the motor washed, everything under the hood has to stay clean. When you do a pre trip, its alot easier to see everything when dirt isn't caked up on everything.

Brettj3876 and jason6541 Thank this.
  9. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    Usually weekly sometimes every other, usually polish everything within the course of a month, simple green and hot water on the engine to clean any oil leaks off to until they get fixed

Brettj3876 Thanks this.
  10. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Minimum of once a week for me but has been as much as 3 or 4 times a week depending on the weather.

In the winter it should be once a week no matter what just to get the salt and chemical deicer off.

Brettj3876 Thanks this.
  11. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Nope I shower everyday, no reason to be a filthy scum bag trucker. I’ve seen pigs in a mud hole cleaner than some drivers

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.