Should I wash my truck/trailer every other week?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Regional, Jun 2, 2020.

1. LumbraX

LumbraX Medium Load Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Orlando, FL
    I stopped washing my truck. The dirtier it gets the more and more DOT just looks in the other direction.

Midwest Trucker and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    All of the trucks in the fleet I drive for get washed every or every other week at the yard while the driver is on a 34 hr reset.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Mine gets rinsed daily, scrubbed about every three days, usually Monday, Wednesday and definitely Fridays. But doing what we do it's just a necessary evil. Part of the job.

However, we have some here that do the bare minimum. Their attitude is "Hey it ain't my name on the door". But they're the first to complain when I get a new truck every 3-4 years, and they get my hand me downs. Or worse. And maybe I am the idiot here, I don't get any more money for washing and keeping it clean. But, I'm particular about such things, and it shows when they fight over my hand me down equipment.

Just last week the boss and I were talking. There's a new glider in our shop right now, it has some goodies on the engine that mine don't have. I jokingly asked why I can't have such things. He said "this one can be yours if you want it, the guy I bought it for wants your truck anyway". I told him no thanks, I'll keep my current truck, and the locking rears, 6.5 mpg, chicken lights and chrome, and the luxury of having something different than the rest of the clowns around here.

6. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Nothing wrong with taking pride in the ride and yourself. Need more drivers in this industry like that.

bzinger and rbrtwbstr Thank this.
  7. Big_D409

Big_D409 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Robertsdale, AL 36567
    I prefer every week and wipe it down during the week when I’m sitting around. Keep the wax and polish up and could skip a week if you avoided the elements.

The price of cool ain’t cheap.

bzinger and rbrtwbstr Thank this.
  8. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Do yall have a yard to wash the trucks at or u spending all that time at the streakin beacon or other truck washes ? Where do u find all that time to do that stuff

dztruck and Big_D409 Thank this.
  9. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    If you plan on keeping it a while. We do ours every week or so, either the Beacon or run em up to the house

10. Big_D409

Big_D409 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Robertsdale, AL 36567
    I do mine at the house on the weekend or if I happen to get by during week. Around an hour to do the truck and 3 on the trailer. Every once in a while I’ll hit a truck wash and it’s always a disappointment. The pride truck wash I found did better than the beacon, but at 150$ I really gotta be pressed for time to hit them up.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  11. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    My company asks that we take the trucks in every 15 days to get them washed. Our owner takes pride in his fleet and wants them to look good on the road. Most of them are 2019s or 2020's and he wants them to glisten.

But since he doesn't pay us to sit at the streakin beacon waiting to get them washed I usually wash mine once a month. I don't go in many crappy places where it gets super dirty anyway. During the winter I'll try to hit it every 15 days but in the summer where a good strong rain storm in the afternoon makes it shine pretty good at 70mph I'll do it once a month.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  12. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Cement gets everywhere lol. The portable silos in the oilfield we had dust socks we'd hook to the elbow on the back side. Couldn't dump em on location so they went in sidebox per company rule. Dirty dirty dirty

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  13. sirjeff

sirjeff Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Kelowna, BC
    I give mine a good hand job at home once a week in the summer. In the winter I'll quickly spray it off in a wash bay, just long enough to get the crap off. I don't get too carried away though because its dirty again in 10 minutes. But knowing you did it.... that's what counts!

D.Tibbitt and Tug Toy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs