Should I work on a plan B?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by 1278PA, Jan 11, 2018.

1. 1278PA

1278PA Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2015
    I am in the phase 2 part of training with this company it's a total of 19 days I completed 9 and was brought home this past Friday because my driver trainer had requested off for 3 days before I started. During my training I got severely sick bad viral infection and I'm still getting over it.

So we were supposed to start backup this Tuesday after his 3 days off but I said I won't be well by then so shoot for Thursday. My training fleet manager said ok leave me a voicemail Wednesday letting me know you can still start Thursday which I did.

I called 11 am Wednesday and nver heard anything back until I emailed today an hour ago. I emailed simply asking do they have an idea when I will continue training and this is the response..

"The student coordinator and I are working on our options. I will give you a call once a plan is in place."

Maybe I'm overthinking this but I get the vibe this is where they try to get rid of me because I got sick. I wouldn't have heard anything unless I emailed first.

I have bills to pay now I'm not gonna get any pay the next check. I just get a bad vibe and after reading all the bs with these mega starter companies doesn't help my feelings.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Suspect Zero

Suspect Zero Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    The trainer you were with before could have gone back out yesterday and they are looking to see who is available and in the area.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    What part of youre sick don't they understand.

Be well.

Stop over thinking.

If a company wants you fired, gone etc they will set it up before you are aware of what's about to happen.

The first part of being able to not stress about job security in trucking is to stop trying to overthink or read between the lines, you're sick. You will get well. But be ready to drive on the date you say you will.

If they wanted you out, you would have been home by now writing on TTR about how they summarily dismissed you for being sick.

Woodys Thanks this.
  5. Truckermania

Truckermania Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    You will be fine. You are overthinking. They are just having to find you another trainer as the other one was not about to wait for you. Best wishes! Hang in there you are almost through the training phase and then you really get to start learning. Be safe out there!

Woodys, x1Heavy and gentleroger Thank this.
  6. vinsanity0

vinsanity0 Light Load Member

Jun 26, 2016
    A trainer is not going to wait three days for you. With people standing in line to be trained, they gave him someone else. Now you will have to wait until someone is available. I doubt they'll hold it against you. You can't complain about not getting paid because it was you who was not ready to go back to work.

tinytim, Woodys, Farmerbob1 and 4 others Thank this.
  7. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Sounds to me like they are in collusion with dispatch to find you a trainer. You will hear from Ivan or Igor soon. Nothing to worry about.

TravR1, Woodys, Farmerbob1 and 2 others Thank this.
  8. A Bug

A Bug Heavy Load Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Sevierville TN
    Being sick for a few days is nothing. The company loves you. As long as you have not smashed into anything while driving then you have nothing to fear.

austinmike, Woodys and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. TaterFox

TaterFox Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Ashland City, TN
    I had a student get sick halfway through, and ended up picking up another student by the end of that week.

Like the others have said, don't overthink it. It happens. But yes, the students are our bread & butter. We will get more of that butter. (That being said unless it's at a terminal I won't be training again. It's hard to train folks who know more than me when they sit in that driver seat with that still warm cdl sitting in thier pocket.

10. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Getting ill is not a reason for a company to let you loose as everyone gets the flu or a virus at some point in time, perhaps there's another reason and perhaps you've jumped to the wrong conclusion to quickly.

Farmerbob1 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. Trucker61016

Trucker61016 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Linville, Va
    There's that word collusion lol. Make sure the company don't try to burn the emails either like certain presidential candidates lol.....:D:)

Farmerbob1, x1Heavy and shogun Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.