Should You Buy a Truck in 2021?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by SeanQ, Nov 23, 2021.

1. SeanQ

SeanQ Bobtail Member

Oct 10, 2013
    What do you guys think?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
  4. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    If things are looking on the up and up for sure, if there not so good then no try and stay out of debt if you can help it, unless your quite well off financially and can afford to pay cash.

5. SeanQ

SeanQ Bobtail Member

Oct 10, 2013
    That's a great answer. I am homeless right now. I sold my house and am sitting on $450k in the bank, but I live in a motel right now. I have my CDL, so I might make the investment and start riding. I am in California right now, but you know things will stay high until these autonomous trucks come in.

John Joel Glanton and aussiejosh Thank this.
  6. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    No you should not buy a truck, you means not particularly you it means anyone.

Right now the prices of trucks are sky-high and the rates are beginning to have fluctuations

So if whomever buys a truck for an outrageous price and the bottom falls out your screwed. You would be in an industry that you have to work hard for little pay and you will have paid twice as much for truck and trailer than what it is worth as it depreciates and it is worth less and less.

If you wait until the bottom falls out you'll pay less for truck but you're not going to make money so your screwed.

So no matter what you do basically you are screwed.

Brettj3876, SL3406, lilillill and 5 others Thank this.
  7. SeanQ

SeanQ Bobtail Member

Oct 10, 2013

That is a great answer. You're absolutely right! Lone Mountain Leasing want $32,500 down, $2,995/36 months for 2019 Volvo. Guess what! They leased them all! Miles on the trucks were 500K something. That is insane.

bzinger, SL3406, lilillill and 3 others Thank this.
  8. aussiejosh

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Yes I did the same thing on my 12 month tour in the USA while driving did briefly consider renting an apartment then thought why? I'll be in the truck all week with a 36 hour layover why pay $250 per week rent plus utilities when I can just live in the truck? My only real expense basically was food.

9. SeanQ

SeanQ Bobtail Member

Oct 10, 2013

That's the best way to go. Some trucker rent out their homes. Kind of smart for the hard runners.

WannaGoTrucks2016 Thanks this.
  10. aussiejosh

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Also while your away from home you can claim any hotel expenses on your tax return if you chose to spend a night in a hotel with no real limit to what type of hotel you stay in, on one occasion I stayed at a posh hotel ( $300) right on the Hudson river in New Jersey

11. 4wayflashers

4wayflashers Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2014
    I’d go looking for a good paying job as a company driver if I were you. They are paying pretty good right now and it will get you out of the motel. Big shots are saying first 2 quarters of 2022 look to have increased demand but wont even guess as to how much of an increase. After that is anyone’s guess.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.