Should you go to the movies during the outbreak?

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Chinatown, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    People still go to movies?
    I quit that years ago; tired of the movie being ruined by some loud mouth that thinks he's a comedian, shooting his mouth off during the movie. Never seen a woman do that, it's always some idiot guy.

3. Freddy57

Freddy57 Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Mount Vernon, MO
    Personally I got tired of the remakes coming out of Hollywood. They seem to take a good movie, remake it with a foul mouthed female lead character that hates men and call it quality entertainment. Nope, quit bothering going to movies years ago.

4. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Maybe you should go to the new Star Wars movie premier.l, because it's always important to isolate yourself.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    My last film in person was the Patriot with Mel Gibson decades ago in a tuesday showing with like three people in the place.

I walked out of the next one packed to the walls with a yelling cell phone rowdy mob. And thats the end of movie theaters.

I am old enough to remember certain shows that had actual intermissions every hour because the films were 4 or more hours for the day. You dressed well and behaved yourself in there.

The one film in my lifetime that was the most amazing other than Mel Gibson's Passion (The churches went gaga on that one) was Wargames in it's Original movie form.

Our Golden Ring Mall in White marsh was a UA Set of 10 theaters in one corner of a two story mall that is about almost 1/3 mile long. Now to understand how they did standing room only in addition to seat room by count with each showing there were lines to that corner inside the mall 5 wide on the upper deck winding down to the lower level 4 wide winding around the mall again all the way around twice, it was a 4 hour line for all 10 theaters showing that particular film. I think 700 souls each every 2 hours. (Film time plus counting time, 350 seats and twice that standing only)

About 7000 every 2 hours all day and half the night.

The film itself had many... suspensions of belief and certain things that were the absolute first anywhere in public, such as the first computer generated voice, a overview of our telephone system and a couple of other tidbits. Otherwise it's just a Cold War Era mass doomsday nuclear war game gone wild. A computer hooked into the entire US Military that would not quit.

Interesting enough Able Archer in 1983 featured a Soviet system gone wild about 23 november. Brother was in SAC that winter. He called us briefly and that was the one coded call that we did not want that night from him of all people when the USAF spun to alert. Nuclear Alert close to a all out shooting shebang match. I understand years later one particular Soviet Officer did not believe the USA was going to actually attack and overrode the Systems. So... shrugs.

One final movie I think of. Braveheart. That one also packed the same theaters but not quite the intensity of the lines. WHAT did happen was you had hundreds of teens, young adults in there who by a certain point in the movie are pretty bloodthirsty mood by then. At the point at which Freedom is yelled out the roar that came from the room of people watching it was through the building itself more felt than heard.

I guess they got their money's worth and were entertained. However like all movies that one had some amusing bloopers as well.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  6. MericanMade

MericanMade Heavy Load Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Pensacola, FL
    I do not support movies that star actors who hate the American way of life while feasting on her milk and honey.

7. LDLWells

LDLWells Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Thank you for your call.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  8. Mid-May Trucker

Mid-May Trucker Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Id go to the movies if people didnt clap and yell the entire time.

Chinatown and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  9. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    I aint been to the movies in probably 10 years or longer. If i wanna buy high priced mediocre entartainment and snacks that is marked up 200% i will stay at the truck stop

Dino soar, Chinatown and tommymonza Thank this.
  10. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    There is barely any new movies in the last 5 years that warrant spending a $1.49 at redbox not to mention the 2 hours of my life I can never get back to waste on TTR.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.