Show me the $$$$

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by NIGHTCRAWLER, Dec 17, 2006.

1. NIGHTCRAWLER

NIGHTCRAWLER Bobtail Member

Oct 15, 2006
    After deducting all the expenses and variables associated with running a truck otr. How much do you do you bring home of you run about 120K miles in a year.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NIGHTCRAWLER

Oct 15, 2006
    Lets say an average of 2500 miles per week

4. Cerberus101

Cerberus101 Heavy Load Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Georgia
  5. RoadRocket

RoadRocket Bobtail Member

Jul 30, 2006
    L.A. = Lower Alabama

This is where so many people get get confused... Its not about how many miles you run its what you charge per mile if you run 120,000 a year and only charge 1.00-1.40 a mile your gonna lose money if you charge 2.00 for good areas and 3.00 a mile for northeast, florida, and to go west for all miles including deadhead on pc miler practical miles you will be alright.

I prefer to charge more money and run less miles, and if your not hooked up with a shipper who will pay these rates your wasting your time right now with expenses the way they are. And if you lease on to someone who is full of broken promises, they are the ones who make the money not you. For example landstar charges their lease trucks 27 - 29 percent so a 2.00 dollar a mile load comes out to about 1.40 so you will lose money with all the overhead and they will make almost .60 a mile for only a few hours of their time and a few dollars worth of phone calls and faxes.

Wrobichaud and Oldironfan Thank this.
  6. NIGHTCRAWLER

Oct 15, 2006
    What about the O/Os who get the % othe load. Who fairs better in this game?

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  7. runaway

runaway Bobtail Member

Oct 17, 2006
    New Jersey
    Are you talking about running under a lease or your own numbers? The previous reply states your losing money at 1.40 cpm, and yes if your running independent you will, but if your avg. is 1.40 under a lease you can get by.
    I gave up my authority last year due to financial trouble ( breakdowns and hit 3 times ) I'm currently leased to a co. in N.J. and avg. is 1.42 cpm for ALL miles, I run apporx. 2800 miles per week get home on my way thru as well as every weekend. No load board fees,no fuel tax,no tolls,no broker fees,no 45 days waiting on a check !!! I'm starting to think the last time the truck was hit was a message from the trucking gods (LOL). You can make money at 1.40 depending on the situation (payments on truck insurance ect.) most important what you are willing to make as a return on your investment (most would call this your weekly pay check) I could not work for what you can taking into consideration I live in N.J. costs are some what higher (mortgage,truck parking ect.) One other thing to keep in mind is I can sit here on the phone all day and tell you your gonna make 1.40 pm leased to my company , you can listen to billy big rigger bragging on the radio about the 1.75 he's making on the load he's under , the only true ways are either proof in writing(copies of settlements and with that theres caution because they'll send thier best operators settlments that doesnt mean your gonna get the same freight,or go try yourself) with that statement made please keep in mind you need to track your expenses closely and evaluate weekly, because if in fact you've been mislead you need to pull the plug asap. Also remember one blown tire ect. there goes your profit,one blown motor there goes your investment, the reason I put it that way is because you ask as if your just getting started ,make sure you have back up funds,make sure you have back up funds,make sure you have back up funds, the only reason I'm still operating today is because I do alot of repairs myself and (make sure you have back up funds) thanks MOM who kept me going during the scary times. My company operates under OPM Trans. everybody thinks its drug related (opium) the true abbr. stands for OWE PARENTS MONEY !!! Things will get scary WARN your wife if you have one ! Bills will be paid late this is generally a rule not an exception. Try not to use credit cards and run with cash advance only when you have to (unless your independent then take the full amount they'll give you). My POP (grandfather) used to say theres no greater feeling in the world then working for yourself but you have to be ready for ANYTHING that comes with the title. Some days it SUCKS to be the MAN. Good Luck to you and stick with it !!!!

Rideandrepair and TallJoe Thank this.
  8. gameaddict73

gameaddict73 Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2006

I have been doing research on buying a truck and this is some of the best advice I have seen. Thanks!

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    True True True True

10. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN

You just agreed with a post written 12 years ago on what is a fair price for an owner op to get paid per mile.

#stagnation

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.