Showers down: "Plumbing problems"

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by JC1971, Jul 13, 2022.

1. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    The Love's in Sioux Falls, SD is no picnic spot either.
    There are a few I avoid, but most are pretty decent.

kylefitzy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    Never said it was on my semi. Had an old 90s Tbird he cut them on. Also slipped rat poison into my food on 2 occasions before i turned 18 and went to literally the other side of the country lol

4. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    In sioux falls theres litterally a truck stop maybe 15 miles south from the j that never fills up . just a small mom and pop and has good food in side. Used to be dirt parking lot but was there last month and its all paved now. Nice spot

Moosetek13 Thanks this.
  5. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    The mom and pops that haven’t been bought by foreigners are the best .

megas are not allowed to fuel at them since they can’t / don’t offer the big discounts on fuel .

I’d rather have a dirt parking lot than a paved one with trash everywhere

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  6. W923

W923 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2022
    Gotta agree. Seems like they are often cheaper on fuel than the big ones to but I am not a big operation and therefore don’t get fuel discounts except by the transport load into my own tank at the yard. If the fuel is reasonable and the inside is good I wouldn’t give a #### if the parking lot is mud and pull in and back out with a dozer.. oh wait that’s a common occurrence at both ends of many of my loads.

7. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    In addition to that, I’ve went to a pilot the other day to take a shower and I got out of the shower and realized there was no towels. Put my clothes on soaking wet and went out and was told that I needed to leave my drivers license at the front counter to get a towel. Lol but yes, I am noticing signs on more and more doors that the showers are out of service. And yes it’s because they don’t have help.

Think about it though, people don’t wanna work, they’re offering $25-$35 an hour or more for a simple warehouse job, up to $18 an hour to work at McDonald’s, do you really think someone wants to clean truck drivers showers and toilets? It’s like the lowest of the low job there is.
    I saw a guy the other day that was cleaning the showers while I was waiting…he came flying out cursing and yelling and he said to me “did you see the blankety-blank blank who came out of that shower?“. He went on to say the guy left a quarter on the counter. He thought it was his “tip“. I’m gonna go shove this quarter up his blank blank, you don’t leave me no quarter tip. I tried to explain to him that the guy was probably just emptying out his pockets like I always do and left it or forgot it on the counter.

This guy was literally ready to fight someone. They can’t find people who want to clean the showers.

8. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    First...
    Who goes in to the shower and does not notice that there are no towels.
    I ask before going how many towels there are, because I want two.

And you empty out your pockets in the shower?

Second...
    The places I stop at have showers and the people cleaning them seem OK with the job, since it is just part of the job.
    I get it if there is a real slob that leaves a mess and they get upset.
    Not something I understand that well, how someone leaves a big mess when they just go in to clean up.
    What mess can they make when they go in with a bag of clean clothes and shaving stuff, and nothing else?

But I do appreciate the job those people do, and leave a $2 tip every time.

9. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    This Post is of the times BEFORE The "showers out of order" nonsense.

Shouldn't take too much time or concern considering Ten Years Back the "cleaners" were using the SAME MOP CONTAGENS to "clean every shower room" as well wiping with towels that may well have been "sanitized" by Shower Customers. To think the cleaners would use a "fresh towel" for every stall is incredibly considerate considering, probably, being paid minimum wage.
    Some dingleberry tosser Flying J spokesperson, some years gone, stated "Drivers only use Towels to dry off, therefore we need NOT wash them after every use".
    Gives ya that Clean Sanitized glow doesn't it?
    NO, I used ONE TOWEL to Dry Off and the other to clear off Mirror then STAND ON and get dressed. Wasn't totally sure either towel was a good idea, after the "flying jerk comment", so I began carrying in MY OWN TOWEL(S). At least I knew, with reasonable accuracy :rolleyes: where My Towels had been. I was also a solo driver but not so low I couldn't keep track of towels.
    I was also increasingly certain I was not the only Human Entity as well similar Life Form(s) to do such activity.

SPARKY signing off.......off this thread........for now....again.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
  10. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    I just shower at the fuel island. No plumbing problems there.

W923 Thanks this.
  11. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Seen it a couple times at the J in Salt Lake, no staffing has been the answer a few times, although the one night their A/C froze up and the place was stifling hot so they were only limiting customers to areas they could circulate air with fans.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.