Showers-What's usually included?

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by DBL-TRBL, Oct 30, 2007.

1. DBL-TRBL

DBL-TRBL Bobtail Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Denver,CO
    What extras are usually included with a truckstop shower? (towels, soap, shampoo, etc) I know it is probably different everywhere, but on the average what do you get besides water and athlete's foot?:biggrin_255:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    One to two towel's and soap in a dispenser.
    I love the soap flying J uses smells medicated.
    Always wear foot gear and never touch any thing!!!!!!

4. wallbanger

wallbanger "Enemy of showers everywhere"

Pilot will sometimes give you a mini soap bar, and a paper bath mat (presumably to keep you from catching Athlete's foot). Hopefully the toilet's not clogged, and you have hot water.
    I know some drivers who carry bleach in a squirt bottle, to use in the shower b4 showering. I carry sanitizing wipes, and give the toilet a good wipe-down before beginning a 'bombing run'.

5. ziggystyles

ziggystyles Road Train Member

I was thinking the other day of carrying around a bottle filled with a bleach solution. Get in your assigned shower room and just mist everything...wouldnt that take care of most germs / athletes foot?

I stayed at a Conoco truck stop last week while training in CO. Towels (one bath, one washcloth) were a buck extra. Otherwise, you'd get a bar of soap and a small thing of shampoo, although the first time I showered, they didn't even have that.

6. madbunny

madbunny Medium Load Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Indiana
    A towel, wash cloth and usually soap.

My advice....bring your own, personally I like my fluffy bath towel and soft wash cloth. Always wear something on your feet unless you are looking to have something new come along for the ride.

I hang my wash cloth and towel up in the truck on hanger it's usually dry by the time I need again (next day).

7. newbiewannadoitright

newbiewannadoitright "Right Wing Nut Job"

Sep 26, 2007
    Cajun Land
    :mooh: Man you are too much!!! I've never heard it called that before. Ha-ha-ha. Anyway, the bleach solution in a sprayer is what I use, or a liquid Lysol solution. (the old skool, reddish brown liquid in a bottle lysol) Shower shoes are a must, and preparing the seat for a "Bombing Run" is also. I carry a small duffle bag with me to shower. It has what ever change of clothes and underwear, and all of my toiletry items for shaving, shampoo, soap and deodorant, as well as a towel. Most times, truck stops will give you the basics like a towel, wash cloth and a small hotel sink size soap bar, in various degrees of use and wear. But I don't rely on them to provide what I need. If they do, I use their towel as a floor mat, and my towel to dry off.

8. myminpins

myminpins Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2007
    Dartmouth, NS, Canada
    Hmmm.... I use their towels, carry my own soap and shampoo. Flying J and Pilot give you two towels, others only one, others you have to put a deposit down to get a towel (one). Most give you soap if you need it.

I never wash anything down or whatever. I do get out of the shower and right into my socks/shoes but that's about it. The Pilot and Flying Js I've been in are all cleaned after EVERY person showers so I really don't worry about it. I do try not to walk on the floor itself, though, but in the shower, barefoot.

I'd never shower in a place that wasn't obviously cleaned before I went in. Ever.

9. ziggystyles

ziggystyles Road Train Member

Yeah, but think about it. What do you THINK they do to clean it, and what do they REALLY do?

A shower room that has a wet floor may simply mean that someone took a mop from a bucket sitting out for 12 hours, dirty from grime all over, and used it to wipe your floor. Nothing like spreading germs with...germs. As far as the shower curtain...same thing...very incred....rediculously unlikely they change that thing. Its wetness means "hey...someone just showered in here 5 minutes ago"

10. myminpins

myminpins Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2007
    Dartmouth, NS, Canada
    No, I have WATCHED them clean the showers at the Pilot AND at the Flying J. They spray everything down then wipe it down then wipe it down again with towels. The floors are DRY when you walk in there. There are no shower curtains - they are just open - the rooms are large. There is NO wetness. Everything is COMPLETELY dry.

That is why I'll go there.

11. newbiewannadoitright

newbiewannadoitright "Right Wing Nut Job"

Sep 26, 2007
    Cajun Land
    Most of the Flying J's I've been to, SOME of the newer TA's, and many other Loves and Pilots are usually clean and neat, however, I still carry my spray bottle with bleach or lysol. You can usually judge a book by it's cover in those cases. If it looks "ship-shape" on the outside area of the shower, it's pretty well going to be a nice shower area. But with many truck stops I have been to, it's easy to tell what you're going to get when you fuel up or walk in. The employee appearance/ attitude and overall appearance of the store and fuel areas will tell you alot. Some of the smaller independent stops I've been to, where the cashier/ counter employee also has to take care of the showers and towels, as well as making the coffee, moping the floor and cash register just never seem to be well cared for. There are exceptions, but I question the 18 y.o. cashier with 50+ body piercings, and talking on the cell phone while she rings you up, is not going to worry about my athlete's foot after I've gone down the road. That is, if athletes foot is the worst you contact. :biggrin_2555:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.