Sign of the times?

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by 201, May 15, 2022.

1. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Yes, I do agree, you had to see the situation, though. It shows how short sighted city planners are, the truck route runs right through the vintage antique and art district and Safeways fault for allowing a 53 footer to even go down those small streets in the 1st place. Like I say, a company driver that has been there 687 times, would know a better way. With the way the traffic was, I never would have attempted that left turn in the 1st place. But this guy was unfamiliar with the area, going solely off GPS, and this is the result. And then, to make matters worse, it was busy with tourists, and this big Safeway truck, screwing up the whole scene. The guy with the van was understandably upset, ADDING to the confusion. I couldn't watch.
    Accident aside, which happens to a semi every 15 minutes in the US, I just had never seen a non-union truck pull a union wagon, ESPECIALLY the food warehouses. Forbidden, even. Times have certainly changed.

Last edited: May 16, 2022
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Another Canadian driver

Another Canadian driver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2021
    ALBERTA
    The blame sits with the driver 100%.
    It's irrelevant where Safeway sent him to deliver.
    There are these little gizmos called cellphones used to contact the consignee.
    They replaced the payphones we used to work with.
    The occurrence happened due to lack of a risk assessment done by the driver.
    Lack of proper training, inexperienced and unable to keep cool under stress.
    A properly trained driver would have performed differently with a smile on his face.
    He should have backed of that turn, continue straight on and park in a safe place.
    Then call the consignee and ask for instructions on how to proceed.
    He could have dialed 911 and ask a LEO for assistance.
    When facing a bridge lower than 13.6 feet what do you do?
    Keep pushing on hoping that the bridge will move out of the way?
    His duty was to relocate that freight safely and legally.
    And he failed. It's as simple as that.

Last edited: May 16, 2022
    bryan21384 and 201 Thank this.
  4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    While I agree with you, I think you are giving this driver too much credit. What you describe is the proper way to do it, but it's painfully obvious, these companies need to fill the seats, and unfortunately, this is what's out there. The driver was clearly unfamiliar with the situation, and didn't know what to do. I tend to disagree, Safeway didn't send this guy anywhere, it was probably a broker that Safeways traffic mgr. called to move their trailer, because they don't have enough drivers of their own. The broker called the cheapest carrier, and I bet Safeway didn't even know about it. The old saying is more true now than ever,,you get what you pay for,,and apparently today, failure IS an option.

5. Another Canadian driver

Another Canadian driver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2021
    ALBERTA
    The sad state of trucking today.

201 and drvrtech77 Thank this.
  6. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    It appears that the workforce is getting worse and worse by the day anymore as well..

201 and Another Canadian driver Thank this.
  7. NewbiusErectus

NewbiusErectus Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2012
    The way it is where I am, when capacity is exceeded, they can outsource.

First, the company drivers with scheduled days off are called and offered the option to work (overtime).

If that doesn’t cover the loads, the company drivers who are on vacation are called and offered the option to work.

If that doesn’t cover the loads, 3rd parties are called.

201 and Another Canadian driver Thank this.
  8. zodiacflyer

zodiacflyer Heavy Load Member

Aug 25, 2014
    That little box doesn't tell you when to drive, and when to sleep, when to ####... or anything else. If you let it, that's on you.

9. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere

I don't have any of that crap to deal with. I've dealt with it before though. I made it work to my advantage, but I like life much better without it

10. zodiacflyer

zodiacflyer Heavy Load Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Don't get me wrong....I'm not a fan of the thing. I would prefer to not have it, but I don't allow it to control me. It hasn't seemed to hurt my miles, or anything...it's just a minor annoyance these days. I can still put down a 37-38k mile quarter if I feel like it. I even had almost 39k one quarter last year.

11. teams567

teams567 Medium Load Member

Jan 3, 2022
    Agree. $40/ hr for a truck driver is underpaid.

That's why they can't find drivers.

Another Canadian driver and 201 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.