Sign on bonuses??

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Intothesunset, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    What would be a good sign on bonus?
    Besides the obvious thing of making it payable immediately.

Being most carriers that are not good to work at can not hire local drivers. So they have to hire from long distances.
    Why not offer a ride such as picking you up in a truck more often?

Upinsmoke Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Majestic 670

Majestic 670 Heavy Load Member

May 10, 2016
    Landcruiser
    sign on sometimes mean they want a new accessory to the truck it's called steering wheel holder.

4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    No one is going to pay immediately. People would come for the money and quit immediately

Upinsmoke, Intothesunset and tucker Thank this.
  5. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    they pay u out over time , usually after u reach certain milestones with the company... or something like once a month.. if they paid it immediatly , i would quit otr and just hop from job to job working 1 week and banking that sign on bonus then on to the next one

Upinsmoke, roshea and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    Most pay it out over time when you reach mileage milestones..25000 miles 50000 miles and so on. Also a lot of companies now that have sign on bonuses have installed driver facing cameras. They wont tell you that part...

Upinsmoke Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You are not going to get that right away. The last bonus I got back in the 90's paid 300 end of orientation (No orientation pay until 10 days which was only 250 gross) and paid 700 dollars 7 months later. If you were still employed.

Without that bonus due to excessive unreimbursed tolls I would have been negative 500 in that particular payroll. So that bonus was essentially a wash. I netted 450 after everything that week.

FFE did not pay us a bonus but they paid half of the spouse's school tuition and we paid the rest (About 1800) And gave me a trainer salary for 12 weeks which made a world of difference against the spouse's training pay of about 300 gross for her weeks in training each week. Net was around 220. This would be in about 2000. Then she was paid .32 a mile. I was paid the equivilant of .40 something which was really top dollar once the training time was over and her final graduation exams were passed. (My job also depended on that. If she failed I would have been dismissed.)

The reason we left after almost a year was simple. Turn in loads, interchanges off solos and so on. Wait up to two to three weeks to be paid. We had two payrolls at 0.00 that summer going into July. When we got a third 0.00 we took our load journal to the DM and said we were not paid for this trip number and 6 others. They generated a 4 figure comcheck free and clear in a hour we were paid. I forget the exact amount but it was alot. Thousands.

We were in medicine hauling out of little rock and memphis the following week going into august. All FFE had to do was promptly pay loads. Thats all they had to do. But no. They take too long on going through the load packets etc.

6500 ground miles and 8 days later have a check for $0.00 where it was supposed to be about .70 a mile to the truck. And do another 6000 miles waiting on that paycheck and generate a new paycheck still 0.00 this time after 12000 plus miles.

We fixed that very quickly you bet. Then we started a large journal book 8 inches by 14 inches and very thick lined paper. Everything we did was organized by paid trip numbers or unpaid trip numbers verified against pay roll for that week. Copies of everything went into that book attached to the page overall record keeping in handwriting. We kept names, contents of so and so said this or that date, time and so on and where etc.

That was what was needed as evidence to the DM to be paid properly. One load was 8 weeks in being paid. But when we showed them the records going back that far in exhaustive detail. FFE made sure we were even very quickly. And then tried to be very fast in future pays. But then the damage was done, loss of trust as it were. They were a good company, but we found medicines to be a very profitable freight. that's why we talk about it alot here. Live loading, meat, LTL, grocery, walmarts etc BS. All of it. Medicine? Whoo hoo.

No need for bonuses. But if they offered us 10,000 or even 20,000 we would take it. But it will take a year or two or three to get it all. that's BS.

Upinsmoke and Intothesunset Thank this.
  8. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Because they don't do the picking up.
    The driver does.
    And it's none of our business.
    Just one big loss of time and money for
    A complete stranger that might not last
    Thru 2 days of orientation.

I personally won't pick any driver up
    For any reason.
    And I wouldn't impose myself on another
    Drivers home. Because that what his truck is.

If the company or the driver can't afford a
    Bus ticket,then both of them need to find
    A new line of work.

9. Intothesunset

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    Covenant offers a team bonus of $40K but that is useless to me as I won't team. Nor will I take public transportation to any orientation.

Upinsmoke Thanks this.
  10. Intothesunset

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    I worked for 9 months last year busting my hump for .43cpm in a 75mph truck but I had gross earnings of $28,900 as an OTR driver out 2 weeks willing to go any of the 48 states. Sleeping at the yard, or sitting for 24 hours waiting for loads and not being paid layover, or breakdown. I live near a airport with car rentals but they only allow round trip rentals. So the nearest one way rentals are 112 miles away. And my current vehicle is not worth going out of my area.
    I am not making an excuse but just stating my situation.
    Yes I have family around but they will not help me unless I work local driving.

They along with most other people in my area have never, or ever plan on driving coast to coast. And I get off looks from folks when I say that is what I like to do.

Maybe I will walk 200 miles to one of the carriers that keep hounding me .

Upinsmoke and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Covenant is the only one still standing from about the 1996 period. A botched orientation and sent home after a half day. (Attempting a hearing test in a room with 50 people being processed, it's not a situation that was valid) Anyway after a storm with FMCSA, ACA Lawyers etc it was decided that Covenant can discriminate and not hire deaf truckers even though they qualify to the nth degree. We did not communicate well.

Covenant maintains this data with 15 other Mega Trucking fleets as a Private alternative to DAC. So they can keep this record forever and ever (Which is what they will do.) Regular DAC is limited to 10 years and by law must be cleared off. It is fortunate that I don't include covenant in any employers current or in the future. They literally do not matter. If I was to go back into trucking, a employer will certainly pull covenant up off that record on me but it literally does not matter. If it did then that would be one employer I wont hire for. I already have a lifetime job with a paving and farm outfit and a medicine work I can get back into without too much trouble in Memphis. (This time concealed carry so no fear of predators) Or even get into Bullion with another trucking company or provide long gun security for drivers doing that. (Ive had a good run, it wont bother me at all if the bad guys need dropping to keep the good guys safe) I don't know what the future holds for me personally but I am working on it.

If Covenant is offering 40K that's nice. Pay us. Right here. But I understand how they run and have been close to them in the past with their people and so on, I would decline that 40K for bonus. It's not good. The company is not good fit for me. You could put a million into my coat pocket and tell me show up ready to drive monday in Mt Eagle but no I wont go. The company and I are persona non grata. It's that simple. They have thousands of drivers since then to hire and exploit. Ive found my old El camino Real and am happy where I am going.

Upinsmoke and Intothesunset Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.