Sign on with carrier, or run own authority

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by W Bench Farms, May 3, 2018.

1. W Bench Farms

W Bench Farms Light Load Member

Oct 16, 2017
    I currently run my truck for the farm, moving hay and equipment when needed. I am thinking of running this truck more that it gets now, and not sure what direction to head. I have a small carrier close to me always looking for trucks. I also have my own authority, so I could find my own loads. I'm thinking I could sign on with them, so I don't have to worry about finding loads to start out with, until I get a handle on everything. I've been driving for almost 20 years, but always my own freight, or drop and hook type trips. I've never had to go out and find loads. Just wondering what the best step to take would be.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    I chose to lease on for really one reason. I don't have the "people skills" to chase money owed to me all the time. Some broker doesn't want to pay and I'd be tempted to drive through his office door.

4. Doing_flatbed_nc

Doing_flatbed_nc Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can lease a truck under your authority on to another carrier. That OOIDA place told me something along those lines--anyway.

If you have your authority, why would you want to lease on?

Get a load board like truckstop and go from there.

5. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    You should at least sign up for a couple load boards to see what's moving in and out of your area. It will only cost a little and you'll learn a lot. Or call some shippers in your area to see who they use for brokers and give the brokers a call. Weigh all of your options and make an informed decision.

DSK333 Thanks this.
  6. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Really comes down to what you are comfortable with. Either one can make you money or loose your ###.

whoopNride Thanks this.
  7. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    If you're anything like me you won't be happy unless you're doing it all your way. My vote goes to running your own numbers.

8. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    Why in the world would you call a shipper to find out what brokers they use? That’s the dumbest thing I’ve read today. Call a shipper and sell your services.

9. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    Many shippers will only work through a broker and not everyone wants to be locked down into a contract with a shipper.

SteveScott Thanks this.
  10. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Because a lot of shippers won't work with single truck O/O's. Every market is different and if you haul freight that you book yourself through shippers, more power to you. That strategy doesn't work in a lot of places hauling some types of freight.

Dumbest thing you've read today? Take a look at your driver's license. I'll bet that will top it.

11. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    Have fun giving away 20% and control for no reason.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.