signage requirements on the side of the truck???

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Mike in Ohio, Mar 4, 2015.

1. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    I just pulled that from the FMCSA Website . I would guess their referring to all commercial vehicles.

Tennesseahawk Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    I've seen several guys lose one, or both of those magnetic signs in bad weather. I recommend Vinyl lettering, it doesn't hurt the paint. If you lose one it's a guaranteed red light, and ticket at the scale house

Things have changed, you can run exactly what Truckon has told you. The only thing is, if you ever go through Colorado they'll pull you in at every scale if you don't display the last 8 of your Vin number on the side of the truck.

I just lettered my new truck, I put everything on it, Company name, City State, MC, USDOT, CA#, Last 8 of my VIN#, Fire extinguisher inside. I contemplated putting the minimum on but I really didn't want to appear like I'm a brand new company just getting started.

Lite bug and RamTruckerOhio Thank this.
  4. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    Company age is told by the age of the DOT number, no amount of clutter will fool the scales.

Colerdardo only needs the vin if your over 26k, so the hot shots staying under don't need it.

I agree with magnetics being a bad idea.

RamTruckerOhio Thanks this.
  5. FIRSTDEVILLE

FIRSTDEVILLE Light Load Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Matteson,Il

http://www.dotnumberstore.com

RamTruckerOhio Thanks this.
  6. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    True, company age can easily be determined by MC/DOT numbers but presentation is also very important.

I'll stick with my lettering the way it is. I see some benefits to it.

7. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    Easy enough to fabricate a small aluminum sign with your info and mount on your steps,or similar.In 40 years I've really never wanted a company name on my door,just think the truck looks better like this,just my goofy opinion.

[​IMG]

clausland Thanks this.
  8. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2015
    That's a nice idea Doug. Even though this is my company and truck, I don't want to put a bunch of stickers on it either. I decided to go with magnetic signs and ordered two extra just incase like others have suggested harsh weather can take them off.
    View attachment 80813

9. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    It also has to be put on with those single letter stickers you get from autozone, and have a few missing

joseph1135 and Lite bug Thank this.
  10. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    Saw a few "great" ones this week. U.S. Navy Transport (white Volvo) was a memorable one.

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.