Signature 600 needs rebuild

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by RSB34, Apr 15, 2018.

1. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    Buy a different or same engine for a lot less. 25-30k is a rip

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bowhunter67

bowhunter67 Light Load Member

May 28, 2016
    rush city mn
    I would find another shop had my cummins 870 rebuilt for $14200 thats new head,liners pistons,rods,mains water pump, t stats and he did it in 4 and a half days.

RSB34 Thanks this.
  4. catwrench55

catwrench55 Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2015
    No kidding i would think you could get a crate n14 with all kinds of warranty for close to that 25k mark.

Big_D409 Thanks this.
  5. Big_D409

Big_D409 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Robertsdale, AL 36567
    Not far off. Long block setup for CPL 2592 is 7500 plus shipping. For under 20k you could have an engine ready to drop in.

6. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    If an n14 will fit...

A Recon big cam engine from Cummins is probably less yet without any of the injector problems or electronic nightmares.

It is basically the same engine as an n14 Minus electronic issues. And minus the expensive wiring and minus the expensive injectors. And without the expensive computer and the expensive nonsense sensors and all the other worthless junk that goes along with that. The famous big cam is inexpensive, reliable and Powerful, and easy to turn up if that's what you want to do.

And also very easy to work on and inexpensive to work on.

You are ELD exempt so it's not a problem for you.

Why on Earth would anyone spend more than they have to for Junk that's going to cost you more in the end?

And by the way for just the cost of what that stupid computer costs, you could probably rebuild that big cam twice. And that's without the expensive injectors and wiring and sensors and Bs...

I'm always completely amazed at how much money people are willing to spend. I guess you guys have a lot of it to spend.

I prefer to keep my money in my pockets. Just seems like plain old common sense.

That's my two cents I'm out. Good luck.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    RSB34 and Big_D409 Thank this.
  7. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    I dropped 31k on a 12.7 Detroit. Third rebuild. The 2nd one they slammed pistons liners and bearings in and it didnt last long. Before I bought it. So when it was time the engine came out and everything except Turbo which was new, and power steering pump went back. Did it all in one shot, up time is important and I want another million miles out of it. Then when engine was done I removed rear axles,suspenion and trashed it. Replaced with complete backend of a 2014 with 30k miles. about another 4k. All on a truck I gave 13k for. Its old, fuel efficent, reliable and paid for. If rust ever does in the frame. Im prepaired to replace it. Still cheaper than making payments on a new one. "And my dad has a excellent set of tools, I can fix itman, he is a tv repairman".

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  8. RSB34

RSB34 Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2013
    ny.
    That's my theory my truck is old but paid for. I am doing the used engine it fits my budget without debt. I love my old truck may not be the nicest looking on the road but I don't pay $25-3000 a mo on payments. If I want off I take off. I have a cattle farm that takes some of my time also. I found another isx than the one I mentioned before 350000miles on rebuild 900000 on block I have the paperwork for the rebuild so I know what they changed. $12000 out the door. I'm just going to send more oil samples off than I used to in hopes of avoiding a major $45000 rebuild n the future.

Tug Toy, jamespmack and bowhunter67 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.