Signs

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by TripleSix, Mar 7, 2017.

1. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Today, I was pulling an OD load. Caught up with another OD load right before a scale. The sign said OPEN. The OD truck was a quarter mile ahead of me, and bypasses the scale. I pull into the scale, get the arrow telling me to go weigh. As I am approaching the scale, the sign says GO AHEAD. Scalemaster comes running out, jumps into his cruise, lights on, goes hammer down after the other OD truck. Somebody's going to get a whole new religion.

One of the most challenging parts of pulling OSOW is figuring the weigh stations out, especially since they all differ. So let's simplify things.

Hard fast rule: if there's a sign that says OPEN, go in. Ignore the prepass. Ignore the electronic message from the highway. If your permit or provisions say you have to go into an open scale, and most do, go in. The permits and provisions supercede the prepass and electronic signs.

"Hey Six, what if I am legal and the prepass to go in, but the electronic sign says to bypass? What do I do?"

If not permitted, follow the prepass. At prepass sites, there's always a sign saying to follow the prepass. Prepass supercede the electronic sign.

So, you're rolling down the road coming up on the scale. Sign says open. You hit the exit ramp. Look for the permit signs.

1. All permitted loads keep right.
    2. All permitted loads must come inside and present permit

If there isn't a permit sign, follow the green arrow.

"Hey Six, what if they give me the bypass arrow to the left and the sign says that permitted loads have to keep right...what do I do?"

Follow the permit signs. Ignore the arrow.

"What if there's no one in the place or the door is locked?"

Keep on truckin.

Now there may come a certain time where your load is so big that you have troubles fitting in the smaller scales. For example, the scale at Childress,TX on 287. It's sitting on the southbound side. If you're going north, you're supposed to make a left turn into the place. If you're really big, that can be challenging and dangerous. Hit the right shoulder and send your front pilot car in with the permit.
    Same thing goes with the weigh stations on the 2 lanes. Check with the scalemaster before pulling in. Most of them will bypass you after seeing the permit. If they don't, and want to weigh you, proceed with caution...odds are you're going to have to thread the needle to get in and out of the 2 lane scales.

Luck in battle.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sawmill

sawmill Road Train Member

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    And nothing wrong with calling ahead to the scalehouse in question to ask them what they prefer.

4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Especially if you're going to the WyPOE.

5. Broke Down 69

Broke Down 69 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Concord NC
    Another lesson taught.

wore out, Big Don and TripleSix Thank this.
  6. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    You need to be calling them in advance anyway. I've seen a few guys in line in front of me who made that mistake. As you said, they end up finding religion they day.

7. sawmill

sawmill Road Train Member

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    They are very serious about that calling ahead policy. I saw them fine a guy $500 and OOS for 24 hours for not doing it a couple years ago.

wore out, KenworthGuyNH, Oxbow and 2 others Thank this.
  8. noluck

noluck Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2011
    greenville,sc
    Georgia loves giving you the green arrow. Just to see if you read the sign.

Bo Hunt, passingthru69, Oxbow and 3 others Thank this.
  9. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    For the interested readers, anyone mind giving the procedure for the WyPOE and OSOW?

10. noluck

noluck Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2011
    greenville,sc
    And some like TN you go and park. And walk the permit in. Don't go to the scale and don't use the bypass. You have your own lane that goes behind the building. Or just read the permit. It'll tell you if you have to go into the scale. If you can't do any of the afore mentioned. Stay the heck out of heavy haul!!! As you are not professional enough to be doing it!

11. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Call them in advance. 24 hours is best but I believe that it's only required for super loads. I'd have to recheck that. Have your dimensions available so you don't sound stupid on the phone. I believe I was asked the company name and truck number.

They give you the instructions over the phone for what they want you to do, come in, park on the scale while they weigh and measure you, go park, bring in your paperwork and trailer license plate number.

And money. Bring lots and lots of money with you.

Bo Hunt, PeteyFixAll, Ruthless and 4 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.