Since the big boys want to play I thought it would be nice to show who their faces

Discussion in 'Truckers Strike Forum' started by AfroBat, Mar 18, 2015.

1. AfroBat

AfroBat Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Los Angeles, Ca.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AfroBat

Jul 24, 2008
    Los Angeles, Ca.
    We really do have the power and for now the numbers the problem is XM brainwashing media and trying to pry those ears away from it.
    We come to this site but sadly not enough know about us?
    Wait!!! I may have an idea!
    Actually two ideas let me marinate em overnight and I get back to ya!

4. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Why do you want to strike? What do you hope to accomplish? You can protest elogs or speed limiters, but the unions want them as to the biggest trucking companies. They have the ear of the politicians. If you want to strike, you will need to have enough drivers who want to achieve the same goal. I don't see a goal of the strike. Getting enough drivers to actually strike will be difficult without some organization. Back when the Teamsters were stronger they pretty much shut the country down. One way was to take shots at drivers and they threw rocks at windshields and placed cinder blocks at windshield level so the driver's windshield would be damaged along with the driver himself. Some were scared enough to shut down for a time. Teamsters today are only out for themselves and are only interested in expanding their membership and going along with whatever the government wants of them. Most drivers don't want to join a union. It takes away their independence. A strike can shut down the country if enough participate and you have clearly defined goals. But. I don't see enough drivers who are willing to act to make a difference.

5. AfroBat

Jul 24, 2008
    Los Angeles, Ca.

6. AfroBat

Jul 24, 2008
    Los Angeles, Ca.
    Hope this isn't a garbled message BlackBerry still has a ways to go it seems.
    A shutdown can be done peacefully I might add by those of us that are peaceful.
    Remember MLK and even Glen Beck (sorry if I misspelled his name) all called for a peaceful demonstration and not one shot was fired not one tear gas canister was thrown.
    It can be done and what we will need to assemble is a team of elders to put together a list of demands to address what we want and will get too if we can one have faith two get organized and come together three think outside the box.
    For far too long we have only thought inside the the box it's time to think outside the box.
    And while we're at it just like I did above gain strength and knowledge from our history both past and present.
    Yes we can and yes we will too!

7. AfroBat

Jul 24, 2008
    Los Angeles, Ca.
    People made sacrifices even giving up their lives so we could have the right to rule ourselves.
    Be proud of being an American and as I say this is get goosebumps! Act like an American and be bold as our forefathers were, we owe it to em!

tsavory Thanks this.
  8. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

G/Man: elogs aren't the problem, actually they are part of the solution.

Any company says "we gotta pay miles because we don't know if your sandbaging"

No. We now have the means to know what delays are traffic, what delays are the shipper/reciever, we know when there is downtime for a repair, we know when an employee works more than 40 hours a week (and in most other jobs would be eligible for O/T)

We have the metrics and tech to micromanage a driver like never before but when it comes to compensation we use an out dated model.

We also have a specialized licence and training but continue to consider drivers "unskilled labor".

So just getting recognition for those two things alone would be a good objective for a strike.

(Now, tying a politician's payroll to the GDP, or eliminating golden parachutes for corporate kamikazes "I'll run this company straight into the ground!", that's a problem for another day)

9. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    The best drivers are those who don't want constant monitoring. Technology has been both good and bad for the industry. It has been good for carriers who like to micromanage their people. It is bad for drivers who like to be independent. Many drivers came to this industry because of the independence it offers. When you take that away from them they will find something else to do.

I agree that drivers should be considered skilled labor rather than unskilled. I have been a proponent of tying our so called representatives pay to a balanced budged. And some CEO pay is way out of proportion to the success they bring to their companies. But, that is an issue for the stockholders rather than the government.

In a free society, the people and government functions much more efficiently when their is minimal controls. New drivers coming into the industry may go along with the controls because they don't know any better. But, those who are experienced and been around the industry for any length of time will push back. Some carriers are even considering installing cameras in their trucks to constantly monitor drivers. Recent years have seen less qualified and less committed drivers entering the business. It will likely only get worse.

6daysontheroad Thanks this.
  10. justa_driver

justa_driver Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Tennessee
  11. justa_driver

justa_driver Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Tennessee
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.