Six dead in crash on I-65

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by chico9696, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    No charges at this moment, they never said that a truck just came along and ram rodded those two cars, they choose there words very carefully. Like I said nobody has even been charged yet.

ZachG91 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Keep us posted; thanks, bro~!

Big Don and Mike2633 Thank this.
  4. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    I believe that trucking companies miss a very important opportunity to educate drivers. It may seem barbaric, but in law enforcement, when an officer was killed on duty, the incident was dissected by the Monday Morning Quarterbacks. But there is a reason for this. Each one of these incidents, has something to teach us.
    It has nothing to do with anybody screwing up, but it has plenty to do with learning from other's mistakes.
    Trucking companies could, and in my opinion SHOULD do the same thing. Instead of hushing up accidents, use them as teaching aides. Now I can here managers and dispatchers all across the industry screaming that there is no time for this type of training. My response to that is, THEN MAKE TIME FOR IT! Don't sit and whine about it not being "productive time." How much "productive time" is lost when there is a crash? No matter whose fault it is, crashes cost both time and money. It's time that the trucking companies started playing nice with their people in safety, and let them do their jobs.

bigguns, Mike2633, A21CAV and 4 others Thank this.
  5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I'll agree on all that but I'm going to take it several steps further....

The FMCSA and various state agencies conduct massive investigations into crashes of this level. They go on to make judgements on causes and contributing factors....

BUT I challenge you to find information on closed cases on the FMCSA site or others. Maybe 1 in 20 such major crashes will ever be posted. I suspect this may have something to do with settlement agreements, but whatever the reason, this needs to stop. The public has a right to know 6-12 months from now what happened with a proactive online search.

All that investigation time and brainpower just wasted from the standpoint of others who are trying to educate their own drivers and learn what to be on the lookout for. They have to essentially recreate the wheel and suffer their own losses in order to manage their own driver pool training process since they can't leverage (learn from) all that past experience of others

bigguns, Mike2633, Bud A. and 3 others Thank this.
  6. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Can I give you an AMEN here Tex?

7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    If such information is made publicly available (without some sort of formal request) I'm not aware. I guess each state has their own way of disseminating this information if at all.

But I've looked at the FMCSA case incident site and it's very sparse to the point of being useless.

Bud A. and Big Don Thank this.
  8. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Hard to argue with that, we should always be trying to learn from bad things.

However, pay attention, leave some space and don't zone out can only be said so many ways.

ZachG91, Mike2633 and Bud A. Thank this.
  9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Pilots have NOTAM's to be notified of potential issues en route and at airports.

Maybe truckers need to be force-fed some sort of notice of ongoing construction areas and where backups can be expected along that day's route.

NOTAM - Wikipedia

Just thinking out loud.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  10. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Um-hm BUT, there are ways to bring it home to drivers. And if they are sickened by some of the photos and footage shown, just maybe it will make an impression.
    Make it part of orientation, and make sure all current drivers have the class. Then require it as a yearly refresher. And for heaven's sake, don't show the same thing over and over again. God knows, there is plenty of fresh material every year.

Mike2633, tinytim and Bud A. Thank this.
  11. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Thanks for the info, I'd never heard of it before! While it might be a little hard to work out how to do it, it's certainly doable.
    Since we, (I use the term we, very loosley,) already have, or are going to have all this electronic stuff forced on us anyway, why not modify some of it, to accommodate this!
    Some type of nation wide data base, with real time road conditions. Then whatever on board device is in the truck can sort through it, and only put out information that is relevant to your route.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.