Skip for Low wattage stock cb crowd. lsb 30

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by north7, May 9, 2019.

1. north7

north7 Bobtail Member

May 9, 2019
    I like talking skip, mostly side band- lsb 38 seems to be where everyone wants to be, I run a stock radio 4/12 watts, a 980. I get out well but those cb's with the big amps make it hard. Why don't people use other channels. I have had luck calling on say 30, or 36. I am suggesting people with stock gear call out on 30. I am able to get out good to other stock radios, I don't really want to buy an amp, I enjoy what I have. So if your on the side band talking skip, I will be shouting out on lsb 30, I am """ North 7""""" do say hello!! Do encourage others to do this. I would like to see a bunch of us who enjoy the challenge of stock radio. No problem with people and there amps, there is room for all. I do think it is time for us low what stock people to carve out our own place on the dial. Anyone else with me? Thoughts appreciated.

skellr and slim6596 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    What state are you generally in ? Or are you OTR ? I use stock 980 so will give a try next time I hear skip conditions.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  4. north7

north7 Bobtail Member

May 9, 2019
    I am in Lanark county Ontario, I pick up eastern USA North right down to Florida, great skip here lately. I am getting out once in a while, South Carolina and Wisconsin this week. The fellow in Wisconsin had a 980, I swear there is magic 980 to 980, These radios can work for sure. I run a full wave loop I built at about 42 feet to center. It has great ears, and gets out as well as any antenna I have used. I have done dipoles, j poles,and a moxon, the rectangle side fed full wave loop on a non conductive pole is my fave so far. A texas tornado v beam is on the bucket list.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    wolverine11 and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  5. TheRATT

TheRATT Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2016
    Seattle, WA
    Have rough specs? I'd like to try this one out!

6. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Most of the people that think they need amplifiers have no idea what it's like to have a real receiver. There's not even really a noticeable difference between a 4 watt radio and a 20 watt radio.

craig_sez, wolverine11 and north7 Thank this.
  7. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Your probably not going to make very many contacts on channel 30 lsb.... unless it's with friends where you have a group of people who just pick that channel to talk on...most people in the U.S. use channels 36-40 for lsb, and the majority use channel 38 lsb like you pointed out...Those channels are the un-official ssb channels...sorta like channel 19 is the un-official Truckers channel, and channel 6 (the Super Bowl) would be un-official "Strappers" channel.:D

You can talk on any channel you want (ssb or am) but if your on a channel where it's customary to be in AM mode or SSB mode, if you start talking in the wrong format your just going to tick people off, plus it's going to be hard for you to talk since people in the other mode will be bleeding all over the channel sounding like gibberish...

When it comes to ssb, you really don't need a amp to shoot skip anyway....But you absolutely need a good antenna, and higher the better if it's a base set-up.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  8. north7

north7 Bobtail Member

May 9, 2019
    People on other forums are voting for channel 16 lsb as a good go to for skip, yes 38 is the call out for sure here , and move off if you can, that is what I have been doing, but the big amps make it hard for us little guys to punch through. I like the challenge of working low watts. I just don't have an interest in big watts, and more complexity, the joy of cb radio for me is simplicity, and making antennas and adjusting.

Snailexpress Thanks this.
  9. north7

north7 Bobtail Member

May 9, 2019
    A loop runs 1- to 2 db better than a dipole according to the web and who you read. Works good for me, or as good as anything I have used so far , as listed. I tested here locally against a jpole, and the loop was much better, I headed out in the car, had a buddy run my radio with both antennas up, at same height, and I went out about 10 miles in the car , we chatted and he switched back and forth , did this from a couple locations, the loop just worked. Now I get this is just my jpole on my house, so not science. But the jpole is in the scrap pile for me, with some dipoles, and a moxon, I could not get the moxon to tune up and stay tuned. The jpole tuning was a challenge as swr changes when you move it, the loop was easy, just hang about 6 feet off the ground trim the wire to suit, then hang her high, no changes, and even with the lop 6 feet off the ground it has good send. Texas tornado link to the pdf . = https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-S9/S9-1965-09.pdf

10. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    I live near Tampa ,Fl but drive OTR, Im getting loaded right now heading to Sioux Falls, Sd. Skip is rolling , am hearing a conversation on Lsb 30 but they havnt called each other by name and dont know their location.

north7 Thanks this.
  11. north7

north7 Bobtail Member

May 9, 2019
    skip was crazy here last night, I got out on 36 and 38 to Virgina from here in Ontario Near Ottawa, every channel on my radio was lit with skip and hash for hours.

wolverine11 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.