Sleep Apnea and Drug Test at Interstate

Discussion in 'Interstate' started by DropHookConfederateDriver, Aug 1, 2015.

1. scottlav46

scottlav46 Road Train Member

Jun 18, 2015
    Escanaba, MI
    Not a bad point, I'll keep it in mind bro. My point is that as a defensive, non good good hittin driver it scares the bejesus out of me thinking about impaired drivers of large 80,000 pound vehicles. Heck, we've all done somethin at some point in our lives, not baggin the guy for that. But do NOT try to insult this profession by trying to fool the test. We don't need that person sharing our roads.

2. Kayman282

Kayman282 Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Oh I completely understand your point. I feel the same way, if caught it gives us truckers a bad name and rep. I'd hope that they wouldn't just go and try and beat the test rather than just stop completely for the safety of all. After all we have the four wheelers to watch out for. Shouldn't have to worry about our trucking brothers and sisters too.

scottlav46 Thanks this.
  3. scottlav46

Jun 18, 2015
    Escanaba, MI
    Amen man...I drive down the road with the mantra 'it only takes a second'...

Steel Dragon Thanks this.
  4. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    You will never, ever want to expose yourself to the liabilities of pissing hot on a drug test. The first time some idiot falls asleep at the wheel and kills themselves driving into your truck, you're gonna get ripped apart by the lawyers for murder. Because you failed the drug test, you were in violation, you shouldn't have been on the road, and that person wouldn't have died if you drug-using self wasn't driving down the highway...

All arguments about drug use and how someone can safely drive stoned aside, the real point is if you do this job long enough, you will be involved in a collision--serious or minor. Regardless of fault, if you test positive for drugs, your career is over and you could possibly be in some very, very serious legal trouble. You will get ripped apart by these personal injury lawyers, possibly the district attorney, and you will be forever blacklisted in this industry.

Do you really want to risk this? Even if you are that "i only smoke one joint every few months guy," and you are the "safe driver" guy, just remember that it's very rarely yourself who will get you into trouble. It's the other motorist who will screw your life up if you are a drug user; you'll get caught.

You don't want to catch a serious criminal case for some recreational drug use. If that's important to you, I suggest you drive nothing more than a forklift. Not to sound self-righteous, but if you are trying to better your future, and get a career, this job isn't for you if you use any kind of drugs.

scottlav46 Thanks this.
  5. scottlav46

Jun 18, 2015
    Escanaba, MI
    See now THATS what I'm tryin to say, if I wasn't functionally illiterate!

6. Pete379EXHD

Pete379EXHD Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2016
    I don't want anyone that drinks alcohol, legal or not, anywhere on the road either. You're still impaired long after.
    You might think cuz it's legal it's acceptable to drink. Not in my book. You're still a drunk and it's a character defect if you ever get intoxicated. Look for another career.

Sounds stupid, huh?
    I don't drink or smoke pot but I could care less if someone smoked a little weed on a Friday night then went to work Monday morning. I'm not naive enough or so full of myself to think it makes a #### difference anymore than drinking a few beers on a Friday night.
    If you think someone is impaired 2 1/2 days later you're ignorant. 90 days ago is just plain retarded. That money and effort would be much better spent weeding out the many mentally ill I see here and on the roads. No place for them behind the wheel of 80,000lbs.for real.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  7. CallMeTawanda

CallMeTawanda Bobtail Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Bremerton, WA
    I don't see how simply asking if they do hair follicle and urine tests indicates they want to trick the system. I used to smoke. Haven't smoked for a long time. But I still would like to know what kind of test I'm going into. Some sources say THC stays in your system your whole life in your hair and some say a few months. It's just good info to have for new drivers, especially if they are trying to move forward in their life and not trying stay bogged down by past mistakes.

CoveringBases and Palmetto_Cowboy Thank this.
  8. lfod14

lfod14 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2014
    It doesn't indicate your trying to trick the system, only that your not sure if you'll pass. If you truly haven't smoked in a long time then you should be fine. If long time means 3-4 months, than ya, you may have an issue. It doesn't stay there for life, it depends on your body fat % as that's where the THC gets trapped. If your done for life and REALLY want it out then go on a ketogenic diet like Atkins which forces your body to metabolize body fat for fuel, it's the only way to run it out. There IS a downside, THC will be present in your bloodstream again as it's being metabolized so a hair test that would show the concentration of somebody that hasn't smoked for say 6 months, may look like last week. Most people don't do hair, if your BF% is low it's not as much of a problem.

Roborope Thanks this.
  9. DADof3

DADof3 Light Load Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Clarksville, TN
    Maybe they are asking about the hair for the same reasons I do. Since the late 90's my hair is buzzed every two weeks or less with a #2 guard. I do not have enough usable hair anywhere else on my body. So if I have to get a hair test, I actually have to stop cutting my hair so it can grow out to a usable length. I do not smoke and have no worries about passing, I just don't normally have the hair to even give a sample. I hate having longer hair, so if there is no need to grow it out, I sure as heck ain't going to.

10. Badmon

Badmon Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Deep south
    Except alcohol, even though it kills tens of thousands of people yearly in different ways and is the fourth leading preventable cause of death in the United States. But that's OK because its legal :biggrin_2552:

moloko Thanks this.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted