Sleep Apnea and Medical Release?

Discussion in 'Prime' started by TyTrucker, Aug 31, 2017.

1. TyTrucker

TyTrucker Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2017
    I went through Orientation With Prime, passed my CDL, and was hired in and went on to do my TNT training. I was having trouble during TNT of always being tired, so I voiced a concern about it and actually had to ASK for a sleep study (I WAS NOT flagged for one at my physical or previously). Went back to the terminal, had the sleep study and was told that I did indeed have SA, and was issued an APAP. Went out with a new trainer, only had the APAP for literally one day, and the new trainer (because I was still adjusting to the APAP and still tired) called our dispatcher said that he felt I was a safety issue; and I was not allowed to drive. I was sent home, they told me I was terminated, and that I could come back after I received medical clearance from my DR. Went to the Dr, he did tests and said that nothing else was wrong with me, got my medical records, called my recruiter and Trinity and I don't understand what is happening? I talked to Dr Abraham, he said that he needed a release from my Dr so that he could talk to him. gave them that, but have not heard anything back. This was weeks ago. I call Trinity every day and they literally do not answer their phone. I called my recruiter, he is finding the same. He called in a 'medical liaison'? to deal with it? This has been going on for about 6 weeks. Has anyone else dealt with this? Is There ANYONE ANYWHERE at Prime that can help me?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Forget Prime; go to another company.
    Since you're on APAP any company may want to see the readout to insure you're in compliance.
    Where is your location? How old are you?
    www.rpmhst.com has sleep apnea supplies and information.

BigBob410 Thanks this.
  4. TyTrucker

TyTrucker Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2017
    I am in Michigan, I went through Orientation and Training through Springfield. I am 22 YO. I talked to trinity a few weeks ago, and they downloaded the data from The APAP machine.

5. TyTrucker

TyTrucker Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2017
    How do you get the data from The APAP machine to give it to a new company? I assume that I would have to find a Sleep Doctor in my area to do that? I contacted US Express, they said I had to have three months experience.

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I think it's unlikely Prime will re-hire you. Move on with your career somewhere else. Try these companies & in a few months when you're 23 there will be a hundred companies to choose from:
    Green Transportation - Holland,Michigan
    Abilene Motor Express
    Navajo Express
    Trekker Logistics
    Melton Truck Lines
    System Transport
    Contract Freighters (www.cfidrive.com)
    NTB Trucking
    Super Service
    Southern Refrigerated Transport
    Veriha Trucking
    Magnum Ltd.

Big Dog 585 and BigBob410 Thank this.
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Ask the company. They probably have their own recommended doctor that can do the data download. Let the company ask all the questions. Some companies won't require another physical, they'll accept your current medical card.

Do the online applications before any phone calls.
    Stay in compliance with the sleep apnea machine!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Green Transportation - Holland, MI

9. TyTrucker

TyTrucker Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2017
    Thank you! I know what I will be busy doing tomorrow!

Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I don't know about all the Prime stuff, but you APAP should have an SD card that has all the data. You just pop it out and a sleep doctor can read it. They can also download your data because the APAP must have a cell phone data. Resmed APAP all have built in wireless data reporting using cell phone data. So you can call the people that gave you the machine and they can also email the sleep report data to a doctor. You can also download a program called Sleepyhead and you can see you own data that's on the SD card if you want.

Maybe Prime will still hire you. I'm just pointing out if you have the APAP and don't work for Prime I would think someone is going to want to get paid for the APAP machine. Usually they want to see 30 days of APAP usage for a new driver. Since you kinda got yourself off the truck they probably would want 30 or more days usage to see your using it 4+ hour a night and it working before they let you back on since you said you were still tired because you just got on the APAP. It takes 30+ days for you to adjust and get back to some normal sleep. My sleep doctor would not let be drive untill they had 30 days of usages. Then they also wanted a Wakefulness Sleep Test. Before I could drive because I was new to sleep apnea and did not have say a 90 day sleep report to show. The Wakefulness Sleep Test is just we're you sit in a dim light room for like 45 minutes and they just make sure you don't fall asleep. You get like 30 minute break and they do this 2 more time.

It kinda all depends on the doctor giving the D.O.T physical. Once I told my D.O.T doctor I was new to sleep apnea and gave him copy of my Wakfulnes Sleep Test, he let me go. The second year he wanted to see a 90 day sleep report from my CPAP. He said he would have like to see more days but I did not know how to get it. Then I found out were my sleep data was going to and I can now call them and they can fax a copy to any D.O.T doctor if needed. I would guess they can go back more then 90 days if I asked.

Puppage Thanks this.
  11. TyTrucker

TyTrucker Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2017
    So I had already been talking to a recruiter with Werner. He called Prime to inquire about my record; and Prime told them that I was let go due to a safety violation, and that I was not 'in compliance'. That is a LIE! I have put a call in to Prime, but of course I can only talk to my old recruiter, and I don't get any more info. I NEVER had any safety violations, and I wore the APAP from the minute they gave it to me. How am I supposed to fight this?? No other company will probably even talk to me!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.