Sleeper bunks

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by skierbri10, Feb 26, 2017.

1. skierbri10

skierbri10 Bobtail Member

Feb 26, 2017
    probably a dumb question but are the bunks full length twin sized mattresses or are they shorter? Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    Every brand of truck has a slightly different sized mattress. Generally a twin sheet will not fit a truck mattress. The truck mattress are longer and wider than a twin. I always used a full size sheet and just tucked in the extra on the back side.

skierbri10 and fargonaz Thank this.
  4. nb629

nb629 Light Load Member

Aug 21, 2012
    You can get a twin on some but it will take some work and it curls up the corners a bit. But once on it won't come off easily. I used them when I had a sleeper truck

skierbri10 Thanks this.
  5. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    You can get sheets that are Twin xl perfect fit.

QuietStorm, A21CAV, RustyBolt and 2 others Thank this.
  6. skierbri10

skierbri10 Bobtail Member

Feb 26, 2017
    Ok sweet I was more concerned because I am 6'4" and normally I hang off my bed at home. Was wondering how that was going to work. I appreciate the input.

7. flyby1971

flyby1971 Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2016
    CDA ID
    If you are lucky enough you can get a KW Studio with the couch. Plenty of room if I remember correctly.

skierbri10 Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Im not sure at 6,4, Im 6 and find that I had to corner in some of the older bunks. The new ones up until 2001 were close to twin in size, I agree with the others twin xl would be it. KW had the best mattresses when new IMHO.

The sheets get tucked. We used a half dozen adjustable sheet straps underneath to hold em in place. Eventually they tear due to the motion of trucking. And get replaced.

Ultimately we bought sleeping bags, a pair about 7 foot long, several body length pillows and a number of mexican throw blankets to which you can adjust between nesting and using against the cold or heat. Take off or add as you go. All of that went down to the matress so that the steel below that did not cause sores over time. It was also fortunate we both were fit without excessive rolls of fat which cause problems with these thin matresses.

I still hang over the twin at home, Im working on that. At some point a queen large is going into that space. Sometimes I think I should salvage a Condo or Studio and bolt that to the wall of my house. call it sleeping quarters. I cannot sleep as good else where.

skierbri10 Thanks this.
  9. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    The problem with people being over 6 foot tall is that they are freaks of nature. Man was designed to be 5 ft 8 inches tall. Any taller and it is just wasted space.

Buy the Twin XL sheets and make sure to duck when you enter a normal room.

ChaoSS, dunchues, motocross25 and 7 others Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    As a side note, history shows that the average person in the civil war era was around 5 and 5 or so. We are getting huge. I wonder if 7 foot people will be more common 30 years from now. Everything would have to be resized for them.

I don't know where truck sleeper design was thinking when they built the COE for freightliner, sitting up in that coffin made me clock my head. Here have a migraine with your morning smoke... It's crazy. But today's sleepers were much better now than they ever were.

clausland and skierbri10 Thank this.
  11. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    mack_superliner_with_small_sleeper_at_the_76_truck_stop_woodhaven_mi_5-80.jpg As far as amenities and comfort goes, yeah, todays trucks got it. Remember the early sleepers, one thought he really was in a coffin, had to climb through with your shoulders just about touching each side of the box. As far as mechanical goes though, not even close ....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.