Sliding Axle Jumped The Rail/Pins

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Grumppy, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I got to work this morning & my supervisor wants me to take a trailer to the shop because the sliding axle has jumped the rail or at least has jumped above the pins.
    I am assuming the yard guy (experienced) obviously didn't have the axles locked so he could slide them back & hit the trailer brakes & the axles slammed against the back of the trailer & jumped the rail.... I am assuming.

Anyway, can I just slide the axles forward enough to get them in front of the pins & let the rail slip off the pins, then pull the pins & slide the axle back? Will that fix our problem so we dont have to take it to the shop? Will that work or is there something I dont know?

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    IF the #### things off the rails, you wont slide nothing. Am I right?

They must have really slammed that thing to create the problem you speak of. That tells me a deeper problem, anger or something close to it. Maybe even hate.

4. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Well, it didnt jump off the rail as such. I think what happened was, he had released the pins to slide the axles back when he pulled around to the dock. When the axles slid back, hit the rear of the trailer, the trailer raised up above the pins, but as it hit the rear of the trailer, the pins released (from the jolt) & the trailer came down on the pins. So, in short, the rail is sitting on the pins. That's the problem. Now you cant pull the pins cause the trailer/rail is sitting on the pins.
    So again, I am just wondering if I can slide the axles forward, in front of the pins, so the rail will drop off the pins, I can release the pins. At that point, I can just slide the axles back...... I think. That's what I am asking. Can I do that or is there something I dont see or know? I've never tried this before. So I just wanna ask.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    THIS is interesting.

Let's assume that there is so much weight on the pins you cannot pull the 4 foot widow maker to release the pins.

Have someone hold a railroad spike to each and beat em off with a sledge maybe. But that's ghetto.

If... the rail is sitting ON the 4 pins of that tandem wheel set. Don't slide a #### thing. I bet that tandem wheel set will come right out from under there axles and all.

EZ Money Thanks this.
  6. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Try what you suggested and slide the tandems until it goes into place. Might want to see if has a retainer that wont allow the assembly to come down.

7. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Get a couple off forklifts.

8. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    Guess you won't know for sure till you try it. But if you "F" it up, they will blame you for it. Just take it to shop and let them fix it.

Moosetek13 and fargonaz Thank this.
  9. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    I had that happen before and just used a BFH to knock the pins back so the trailer would drop down on the chassis.

Pedigreed Bulldog Thanks this.
  10. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Don't pull the trailer anywhere until the pins are locked in. If you hit the brakes too hard the chassis will roll out from under the trailer and you'll really be ####ed. Just smack the pins with a hammer and be quick about it.

tucker and Pedigreed Bulldog Thank this.
  11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I guess I'm visually stimulated. I can not begin to image WTH the situation is without a picture. Would also love to have seen a video of the event that led to this situation that I can not picture ("rail jumped above the pins")

x1Heavy and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.