Slow trucks justified with money

Discussion in 'Prime' started by CasanovaCruiser, Jul 16, 2015.

1. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    I think I saw a Prime truck get passed by a butterfly on the interstate the other day.

icsheeple and poppapump1332 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rick Brown

Rick Brown Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Monroe NC
    I think it had to do more with 300hp and cabovers. You could shift any way you liked it would not have improved fuel milege.

4. Rick Brown

Rick Brown Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Monroe NC
    Larger companies may be self insured they still have to have someone backing them. They self insure up to a point of what cash they can sit aside for any claims, and honesty, the bigger the company the more they have to sit aside. Contrary to popular belief I don't believe any of these companies have 50 million just sitting somewhere for "self insurance"

5. n3ss

n3ss Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Prime has something like 7000+ trucks. They saw a reduction in accidents as they lowered their governor - great for insurance, self insured or not.

Having 7000+ trucks, they certainly benefit from improved MPG. If installing trailer skirts and/or trailer tails on 13,000 trailers is going to net them even a miniscule improvement in MPG, thats money in the bank for them over the life of the trailer. If a truck gets 6.7MPG at 65MPH, and 7.5 at 58, and they have access to loads that work with that, why wouldn't they govern at 58? Most of you only drive faster because you don't just think you're on the best driver on the road, you *know* you're the best driver on the road. Living, breathing examples of the dunning-kruger effect.

Chucktshoes Thanks this.
  6. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Chances are, there are probably some truck drivers working for Prime who actually like driving these "slow" 58 mile an hour trucks.
    One "good" benefit out of all this is the reduced chances of getting speeding tickets on a lot of the nations highways.
    If anything, the Prime driver could possibly get a citation for being too "slow".

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

michaelg Thanks this.
  7. OVERTHETOP30

OVERTHETOP30 Bobtail Member

May 19, 2017
    What is the hourly rate? Does it come with good merit increases or benefits? Is it a good place to work?

8. PChase

PChase Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Show Me State
    Lease side faster running means more fuel used and blowing your $$$ out the tail pipe.

redoctober83 Thanks this.
  9. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    Of some of these prime lease guys I've seen I'd rather they started blowing their money out the tail pipe instead of blowing it on putting stupid stickers all over their trucks lol

Funny how perspective changes after awhile out here. I made this thread while I was still getting my CDL.

redoctober83 and swervyjoe Thank this.
  10. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Like the aftermarket stickers example: greenbay football logo, or a giant bald eagle with its talons grasping the word freedom? I sen a purple one a couple years ago, it was covered in colorful gum drops.... i felt bad for the guy driving it. He didnt look like he liked gum drops.

Or the pinstripes? I thought the pinstripes was stock....

Glad your coming around though.

CasanovaCruiser Thanks this.
  11. PChase

PChase Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Show Me State
    Can't argue with idiots, drunks, dopers or trolls.

They just drag you down to thier level

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.