Sluggish performance in my ole girl

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Loaderlou, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Loaderlou

Loaderlou Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2014
    Hi everyone, just recently my 6nz started running lazy. I’ve changed my fuel filters at every service and halfway thru to the next. I’ve noticed my manifold pressure is down from 28-30 lbs to 20-21 lbs and my pyrometers is running at 1000 + degrees. Any ideas? Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If your pyro is running hot and you are not going upgraded loaded for it to run hot, I think you have a issue. What is your engine oil temperature telling you? What is your engine oil pressure doing?

Maybe overrich fuel, burning way too much for the required work. Did your fuel mileage go down the chute?

4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    If turbo pressure is down it could be turbo or charged air cooler or a lose connection or clamp

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Intercooler clamp would be a check as well. If you don't have a good seal on the air intake side to turbo, shes going to fall down and get sick.

6. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    If she is warmer on the Pyro check the air filters first. Then check for leaks on the pressure side of turbo, (CAC boots tubes etc.) Also give the turbo a real good look, it takes a huge leak to loose that much pressure

SAR, spsauerland, baha and 1 other person Thank this.
  7. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Seems like a big pressure loss. I agree with all on filter checks and air to air checks including the cooler itself. I would check turbo over well like @wore out said. Make sure your wastegate isn't opening at to low of pressure.

SAR, wore out and Oxbow Thank this.
  8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Very common this time of year to get salt mist from the highways if you are in snowy climates, then it dries and crystallizes to clog air filters. It dries the same colour as the filter paper, so hard to tell. Check for residue on the inside of air cleaner housing. After that, check for air to air leaks.

SAR and Oxbow Thank this.
  9. Loaderlou

Feb 24, 2014
    Thanks for all the comebacks everyone. Pulled the air charge cooler and did a pressure test, that’s good, but did notice upon taking the cooler out that the hump hose clamps could have been tighter. Everything is back together and much tighter. Will check air filters tomorrow and turbo. Thanks again everyone

10. Loaderlou

Feb 24, 2014
    Thanks for all the comebacks everyone. Pulled the air charge cooler and did a pressure test, that’s good, but did notice upon taking the cooler out that the hump hose clamps could have been tighter. Everything is back together and much tighter. Will check air filters tomorrow and turbo. Thanks again everyone

11. Loaderlou

Feb 24, 2014
    I found the problem. Thinking my waste gate may be bad, I went to get the part number off the turbo and noticed the E clip on the spring loaded frazzelwagger on the turbo that connects to the waste gate rod was gone. The ole girl is doin just fine. Thanks for all the comebacks

Oxbow and SAR Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.