Small companies vs large companies

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Kvanw, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Kvanw

Kvanw Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2018
    I been driving for 18 years and worked for both large and small companies. If you can find a small company that take care of their trucks and employees that certainly is the way to go they don't bother with the politics of who get what run but only the fact that you will do your job.

mitrucker, Slowpoke KW, 28 and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KeepONTruckin214

KeepONTruckin214 Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Can small companies offer the miles like large companies can?

4. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
  5. BIF MALIBU

BIF MALIBU Heavy Load Member

May 21, 2010
    lake cushman wa
    medium size
    we have GPS on our internet radio but it is not used much.
    no electronic tattle tales
    drivers will slit your throat for 10$ though

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  6. plankton

plankton Medium Load Member

Jan 9, 2015
    Yes, they can, but there are more important questions to ask...

Lonesome Thanks this.
  7. 28

28 Medium Load Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Drivers are focused on miles ...thats our
    limited view

Companies are about overall
    profitability

Drivers are simply part of the
    operating expense .. like fuel and tires
    and maintenance ...etc

I did work for a company once where we got the miles
    but it was just the way the chips fell and the freight we were
    hauling ...sort of a luck system

8. jrhd97

jrhd97 Light Load Member

Oct 7, 2014
    NC
    I've worked for small, medium and large companies. I liked the large the least. They were very impersonal, didn't care at all about anyone but the dollar. They could care less if you quite. With their multi mumilli dollar recruiting budgets another driver was already in orientation to take your place.
    I'm currently with a small, under 70 power unit, company. It's a lot like family, they take care of the equipment & do care about the drivers safety & well being. The draw back is the miles are hit & miss. Receiver's will, at times, just hold the trailer as a storage unit for days & weeks knowing it's a small outfit. What are they gonna do? Benefits are pricey because there just is not a lot of people to spread the risk around.
    The two medium companies are both flatbed carriers. They had their act together. They weren't impersonal just busy. The focus was on the drivers and freight which led to running the admin side a little light on help.
    Overall my best experience in 18 years has been with the midsize carriers.

9. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Yeah i totally agree i've only worked for a small company although they still had 4 divisions were quite large in Utah however on a national level were considered a small operator they really got to know you the big boss Larry came down to meet us the dispatchers we all talked to when we came back to base on a personal level even the accountant was great would do anything for us even lent us his car once when i needed to get a medical check, always paid on time they tried getting me to do a couple of hot loads twice though however once i reasoned with them on this and the safety issues involved they stopped giving me those kind of loads, we always had regular work, back home every 2 days on average only once did i ever go out for more than 4 days straight without coming back to base all in all a great company to work for.

jrhd97 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.