Small Freezer ? 12V or 110

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by IronRydr, Jan 4, 2009.

1. IronRydr

IronRydr Light Load Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Does anyone here use a small freezer (freezer only) in your rig? If so, do you have a 12v or 110 and how well does it work? I'm a newbie and wanting to carry frozen foods for preparation in a microwave to save money on the road. The carrier I'll be working for does have inverters in all their trucks, I just don't know the wattage yet.
    Thanks!
    IronRydr

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    Small freezer only? No. However, I do have a small "dorm room" fridge with a freezer section. I went with a 110v vs. the 12v because the fridge I bought at Walmart was $79 vs. $400-$700 for a 12v one (and I find the 12v ones to be too small in most cases). YMMV.

4. IronRydr

Dec 1, 2008
    lostNfound,

My truck will come equipped with a small fridge, but every one that I've seen, including a small 110 'dorm' fridge that I currently own, have a very small freezer compartment. Specifically, I was interested in keeping some frozen foods on hand... chicken pot pies, Lean Cuisine, pizzas, etc.

Thanks,
    IronRydr

5. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    The frozen foods can be stored in the fridge part. It is not like you are going to keep 2 weeks of food in the truck. You most likely will have to stop and shop through the week. Space is a premium.

Some even keep can goods and microwave them as well.

6. Waterloo

Waterloo Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Grass Lake, MI
    That is what I was thinking if the truck already has a fridge. Most all of those frozen dinners will keep for a week or longer just in the fridge. And then when it comes time to eat, just throw them in the nuke for 2 or 3 minutes vs 10 or 15 with a frozen one. That is how I have always done it, even at home if I know I am going to eat it in a day or two.

And if you need more fridge space for soda or other drinks, get a styrofoam cooler or one of those Thermos rigs.

Mike

7. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    Hmm, I am guessing that space would now be at a premium and the only really small freezers that I have ever seen would be 12v ... any 110v ones that I have seen are about the same size as a small dorm fridge.

8. Waterloo

Waterloo Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Grass Lake, MI
    A 110v freezer would be a huge draw for most invertors found in trucks. When the compressor kicks on, it still requires quite a bit of amperage to get it going. My coffee maker in my truck takes quite allot of juice to get going in the morning. I would not want to subject it to a 110v freezer.

And some of the better 12v freezer units I have seen are not cheap by any stretch.

Mike

9. IronRydr

Dec 1, 2008
    Thanks to all!
    I didn't realize that the frozen foods would keep that long in just a fridge. If that's the case, I'll save the space and the $$$ and just use the fridge.

IronRydr

10. orion3814

orion3814 Medium Load Member

Dec 31, 2008
    tulsa, ok
    if the inverter is big enough get a 110 the coleman 12 volt fridgesdont go as low as a phase change style fridge aka a 110 with a compressor and refridgerant and the coleman style probably wont get the temp down far enough to keep the food frozen

really depends on how the rig is set up inside and what kind i drove for swift for 9 years and always had a freightliner we could not haveaninverter hmmm hmmm but some of us werent being oppressed ahahahhahahhaha

if you have a freightliner up under your passenger dashisa fuse box and several places for an electrical tap ialwaysjust mounted the 1000 watt inverter down around the foot area of the passenger area and ran my cables up in the dash the factory wiring cant handle much more than 1000 watts

so keep her about there if you have an area fora fridge in the truck that would be perfect but make sure you measure before you purchase i have seen some people just totally screw themselves just by aproximation hahahahhahahha thats how igot mine socheap and was just 2 days old lolololol hope it helped a lil bit:biggrin_25517:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.