Small Tanker Roadworthy

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by n1264d, Aug 13, 2012.

1. n1264d

n1264d Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2012
    I recently purchased a small tanker truck with 3 compartments, 2000, 1200 and 800 gallons each. It has not been on the road in about 5 years but has been used regularly during that time to hold fuel and fuel aircraft. I am working on getting it ready to go back on the road by arranging for VIPK testing. I am a little bit worried about the condition of the tank. On the front compartment the front and rear bulkhead is distorted. A friend said this could be caused by not opening one of the vents when loading or unloading from that compartment. The tank is not leaking but I would like to know how that might affect the VIPK testing to get it back on the road and if it might need any repairs. I am looking for some general advice before I waste a lot of money transporting it to get the testing done. Can it be re-certified with the distortions? The nearest shop for testing is a 3 hour drive away.

Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Maybe take some pics and e-mail them to the shop for their opinion . They are better qualified to answer than anyone here .

4. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Major 'distortion' should fail the internal visual inspection.
    If the tank has double bulkheads [you would not see the distortion in the rear of #1 when looking forward in #2]', then you need to check that the drains on the void between the bulkheads is not plugged.

SPEC requires them to be open to indicate any leakage from the compartment into the void section.

Many an old fuel tanker has served on past it's prime working off road w/the void drains plugged, especially of only hauling one commodity so cross contamination is not an issue.

It could require having new bulkheads sectioned in to restore it to meeting test and SPEC. This would have to be an ASME shop w/ a "U" or "R" stamp and cost big $.$$

You should have had a through survey performed before buying +/or purchased pending passing the VIKP inspections.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.