Smith Transport sent me an Escrow refund check and im a company driver

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by company trucker, Jan 4, 2016.

1. company trucker

company trucker Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2015
    I didn't know company drivers had to pay into an escrow account. Some weeks I got a $400 dollar after taxes paycheck and some weeks I got a $700 dollar after taxes paycheck. at Smith Transport , most loads were drop and hook rolls of paper. Rome, Georgia international paper mill with the Georgia Pacific saw mill in the back would have you sweep out your trailer before dropping and hooking.

2. ttyson

ttyson Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2015
    they gave you money and their a bad company ?

bzinger and Lonesome Thank this.
  3. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    1st time I've heard of ANY COMPANY making COMPANY EMPLOYEES PAY into a escrow account. That's irregular in itself.

4. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    So he was so post to be happy with 400$ take home checks ? And the escrow check was money they took out of his check each week to act like a bond , if he had a wreck ,or a shortage , or something else they were going

Trucker61016 and Aamcotrans Thank this.
  5. superflow

superflow Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    If Smith is taking out an escrow out your check, it is something that you must've signed at orientation

By law : no company can mess with your wages without having you sign an agreement to do so

So are you sure that you didn't sign any agreement?
    ... If not you can sue the crap out of them easily but it doesn't seem likely that they would put their butts in the wind like this, I could be wrong, we live in some crazy days, never know what people are going to do these days, lying is the second language we speak in this day and age

HL Drvr and Aamcotrans Thank this.
  6. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    More common than you think. Bottom feeders use this tactic to recover costs associated with retrieving ditched trucks which are inevitable in the cheap world of van/reefer freight. Most hold $10 bucks for 50 weeks or so and return it if it's not needed for recovery, cleaning, and/or repairs.

You signed a form when you hired on and returned the truck with nothing more than normal wear and tear.

Getsinyourblood Thanks this.
  7. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    It amazes me that so many people never even look at their pay stubs, just assume that the company is giving them what they're supposed to. How long did you work there and not notice a deduction being taken out each week?

The company did not "give" him anything. They returned the money that he had loaned to them at no interest.

Trucker61016 and Aamcotrans Thank this.
  8. superflow

superflow Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Some drivers just jump in head first, not reading anything they sign or not paying attention to anything they hear as the company is laying out deal breaker policies

Most of time they throw this out there hoping the driver just signs it and doesn't question anything

This is how Alot of good people get raked over the coals
    And the company can legally get away with doing it because they have a written agreement from the victim

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  9. Sneakerfix

Sneakerfix Heavy Load Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Pasadena,ca
    Mostly tanker companies will put you on an escrow account.

http://www.smithdrivers.com/m/tank-truck-drivers.html

10. Lonesome

Lonesome Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    You're not supposed to do that? Hmmmmm.......

Broke Down 69 Thanks this.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted