Smokin Joe Tuned Connex 4600

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by shogun, Jan 18, 2019.

1. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    This radio is blowing smoke. I just bought it and had it sent to him for the tune and alignment. The receive is better than my Galaxy Saturn, I had the output turned down for specific reasons, and my first contact was about 500 miles testing it out on Channel 20 last Saturday.

Last night, I turned it on channel 28 and heard 154 Dollar Bill in New Mexico. Since getting into cb in 1995, I have never heard New Mexico, but last night I heard him, and put him in the 20db range. What I am impressed with the most is the cleanliness. With the amount of power I can put out, it would show easily in harmonics on certain meters. This radio shows none, and I have some great radios that work well that do show harmonic tendencies on these same meters.

I have less than .005 percent reflect and I know that it is going where it’s supposed to. He will get more of my business in the future. (And I have a great tech that fixes anything I need for free but he doesn’t have a scope and analyzer like Smokin Joe).

bigguns, IluvCATS, Slowmover1 and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    @Ruthless
    If you are still interested in ever buying one of my radios, I’m going to send a couple out that way here soon for him to align. I’ve got one you might like, budget dependent of course.:thumbup:

bigguns Thanks this.
  4. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Lace me up. Idk #### but how to use a amateur one. It’ll take some practice lol

bigguns, stwik and shogun Thank this.
  5. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    I’ll holler at you sometime soon about what all I got, and what you are looking for. Family’s coming in town in about an hour, and we gotta do some cleaning up.

bigguns and Ruthless Thank this.
  6. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Update: I have several base stations I talk to locally, some as far as 70 miles as the crow flies. One station in particular, an IMAX 2000 at 90 feet barely puts a signal I can pick up barefoot, when he runs power he’s a 3-5 dB about 20 miles away. Yesterday on my Smokin Joe 4600 he was 3 dB and easy to understand, compared to my Galaxy Saturn, RCI 6300 and General HP40 on the same antenna.

Talking locally up to 70 miles was my main concern, so this has been a good upgrade especially when limited by HOA restrictions. I’m going up about ten feet higher and putting the GPK on the Imax 2000 and see how much it helps if any.

7. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I'm sure "Smokin Joe" does good work, but DX contacts rely more on conditions at the time more than anything...Just yesterday I was talking DX to Florida on my Cobra 2000 GTL, which hasn't had anything at all done to it, and made a contact with a guy in Key West bearfoot....and my Cobra 2000 only keys 2.1/2 watts, swinging to 9w's....

First was talking with the Palomar 300A ON, and carried on a conversation with a guy in Florida that go's by 931 for a good 20 minutes on channel 28, like we were neighbors...Then a little later figured I would try with the amp off...Didn't get back to 931, but another guy in Key West came back to me and we talked for a bit...not as good a contact bearfoot, but did make the contact just the same, and like I said this was with a radio that has had nothing done to it since it left the factory in 1992...

Of course, the antenna also plays a big roll, but without the right conditions, none of that maters when it comes to DX on 11 meter.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  8. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Oh I agree. I’m not saying the Smokin Joe tune has anything to do with talking skip, I’ve talked Skip with this same base antenna and several different radios. What is impressive is to me is the lack of harmonics showing when modulating through a meter with respect to other radios I have run both mobile and here at home. Everything else is the same, but since the tune on those other radios haven’t been done on an analyzer, it really shows.

This Connex is the first radio that I have used where you could tell harmonics weren’t affecting the meter no matter how much power I am putting out because it’s being transmitted all on frequency. And the 1.5 S Unit gain on RX is also nice.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    jessejamesdallas Thanks this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan

??

10. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen

11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    ??

I thought you had me on ignore?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.