Snackbar's new adventure at Moore Freight Services

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by supersnackbar, Jan 6, 2018.

1. TokyoJoe

TokyoJoe Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2015
    So where are all the Wylie terminals at? I'm starting to think that it might be better to try them out doing what I already know how to do rather than going into something completely different.

Do they have any dedicated runs out of Church Hill or anywhere around there like Abingdon?

My miles for January were bad, I just took a few days off and can't get a load going anywhere yet. That's never happened in the 5 years I've been driving. Until now I always immediately got a load out of Laurinburg going to either Owatonna, Texas, Florida, Wisconsin, NYC, etc.

Today it's crickets. Apparently they lost all of their contracts and are just fishing for stray loads.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Wylie has terminals in W. Fargo ND, Sanford NC and Humble TX. Moore's old shop/terminals (that are now all Wylie) are in Church Hill, Spring Hill, Laurinburg and a drop yard in Ottawa, IL. There is supposedly a Wylie drop yard in Houston, but not sure what part of the city.

I'm in Laurinburg now waiting to pick up a load tomorrow going to Owatonna, and the odd thing is, I am the only Wy-Moore here which is unusual for the 2nd week of Feb.

I'm not letting myself get my hopes up about my future here. Every time I start to think things might turn around here, Karma rears her ugly head and something new goes haywire and pisses me off.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Itsbrokeagain, Skootlez and TokyoJoe Thank this.
  4. TokyoJoe

Feb 10, 2015
    Well at least Wylie has loads to drag around the country, instead of what I've been doing, sitting in my truck, in my hometown truck parking lot, waiting for a load 8 hours yesterday and at 450pm being told that I won't be getting one while working for a company that doesn't pay you a dime to sit yet expects you to sit there waiting while they likely know that there isn't anything for me to do right now.

Basically the middle finger after waiting all ####ing day. No respect at all, such as, saying why don't you just go home and wait and see, around noon. Nope just sit in the truck waiting for nothing the entire day until it's almost going home time for those actually paid an hourly wage. Then I get the "Sorry man" email informing me that I'll get one tomorrow, when everybody knows that if they had a load for tomorrow they could have given me somewhere to go yesterday.

I won't be doing the same sitting in the truck routine today. I'll wait at home for my phone to inform me that I actually have a load because I guarantee you that if I don't get one today I won't be getting the 400ish dollar weekend pay since they conveniently didn't move my truck from my hometime location.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    Lonesome Thanks this.
  5. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    We have loads...this week. But, most of the weeks since they merged us have been down from what we're use to. Plus, there is no guaranteed $1000/wk pay here like you have there,

As far as dedicated, the only things they have dedicated right now is Corsicana TX and were talking about a new dedicated customer out in Cali a few months ago(and not Ripon) but no mention of it since.

Lonesome and TokyoJoe Thank this.
  6. TokyoJoe

Feb 10, 2015
    There's a Guardian in Kingsburg Ca. and a Vitro/former PPG in Fresno Ca too.

I'm sure that wylie ended up getting a lot of the contracts at Pilkington and Guardian and that's why our loads are crap lately, what I haven't figured out yet though is why most of our drivers haven't quit yet. I thought with mostly sub 2000 mile weeks everybody would have bailed out. I get a pension so I'd just wait them out, but not if they're going to leave me hanging at home totally unpaid.

I'm not in the mood to be finding a new company but these people are attempting to test my loyalty to the company with horse ####.

Guaranteed pay is a good idea in theory but for a driver who stays out for several months it ends up bringing down the pay because they are constantly trying to give loads to drivers coming off hometime who start out on Monday and Tuesday with 0 miles. The drivers who stay out already have 500-1000 miles by Tuesday because Sunday is the first day of our week. What ends up happening a lot of weeks is I get unloaded on Monday or Tuesday, then sit around for a day or 2 with very few miles because there's no load until Thursday for the weekend.

7. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    If you're ever grocery shopping in Laurinburg, avoid the Food Lion strip mall (on the other side of 74 from Walmart). Drove over there today after Wally didn't have everything I wanted, and to get some coffee at Awful House...(yeah I know, but Awful House coffee beats the average C-store sludge). As I drove down the frontage road with all the entrances to the stores, I see bright orange signs everywhere about 'no truck parking' and 'so-n-so truck towing'. Since I don't know where this frontage road leads, I turned in the last entrance and proceeded behind the building to turn around and leave...if they don't want my money...fine by me!!! Pulled back out on the frontage road, then parallel parked in the last few spots at the end of the Awful House lot (it's seperate from the strip mall property). As I was getting out to go get some Java...a tow truck was heading down the frontage road in the direction I just came from, and slowed down taking a long look at me, then parked across the road in the 'forbiden' lot just watching me...when I left, he followed me back out to the main road.

TokyoJoe and Lonesome Thank this.
  8. TokyoJoe

Feb 10, 2015
    I just left Laurinburg this afternoon with a load. We have two cars in our lot to check out to go grocery shopping so I usually use those and don't have to worry about parking the truck at the grocery store there but good info about the Food Lion. There's a Carlie C grocery store a block over with a dollar tree next door and I can usually get everything there. Probably can park the truck there too unless there are signs there about towing.

Funny thing to me about there being no loads in Laurinburg yesterday. Today I got a message that my load was in Laurinburg and somehow got loaded yesterday and could have been picked up at noon yesterday but since I was sent home with nothing I didn't know about it. But here is what they are doing. They didn't want me to pick up the load yesterday and rather than tell me this yesterday I sat there for 8-9 hours waiting for no reason. They could have just told me yesterday morning to start driving to Laurinburg Friday morning but communication is apparently only expected to go one way around here.

The reason they didn't want me to pick up the already loaded load yesterday is because we get guaranteed 800 mile pay for the weekend but if I had picked it up yesterday and driven most of the miles yesterday and today then I would get paid those miles for Thursday and Friday + they'd still have to pay me for 800 on the weekend while I sit there Saturday and Sunday waiting to get unloaded on Monday.

This #### is too easy to figure out but the frustrating part is that they want to pretend, at my expense, that they aren't actually screwing me over and wasting my time.

The people doing this crap obviously get paid for each of the hours that they work for this company while they believe that it's perfectly fine that I sit in my truck all day not knowing that I'm not actually going to be going anywhere because the company wants to play games with the dwindling miles.

9. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    This is one of the biggest if not the biggest reason why companies cannot retain drivers many drivers take this behavior by these companies as a slap in the face and an act of stupidity towards them and most drivers who have a lick of sense don’t have any tolerance to putting up with it and leave

10. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I had the trifecta of good luck followed by a disappointing end of the work week. The trifecta was, my load came out early, was legal in every way, and was loaded on a Moore flatbed (going to Owatonna which means they'll unload it as soon as you get there most of the time), but...I got disappointed because I couldn't get them to give me a direction to head once I'm empty on Sunday. That is one of the most frustrating things that gets under my skin. When Wylie 1st assimilated us, they said that we would be doing more t-call loads and be preplanned much of the time because they wanted to keep us moving. That happened for about the first 6 weeks, now it's back to the SOSDD. They claimed that we have been awarded more freight from our usual plants, and that capacity was tight. If it's so tight, then why will I have to wait until Monday morning to find out where to head when I will have 6 or 7 drive hours left on Sunday. Honestly, other than the per mile increase, this place is about as inept as Big G was, at least in terms of planning.

and the replacement drivers that come in to fill seats do more harm than good. We got a fleet msg about 3 trashed loads in the last week, 2 were most likely 'driver error'. The Op's manager keeps harping on the need for headers on our double drop because 1 of the trashed loads slid because, as he claims, the load didn't have a header in place...total Bull *bleep*!!!!! A lot of us tried to tell him that headers don't help that much if the driver doesn't drive like he or she is hauling glass. Hard braking slides and breaks the load...99% of the hard brake load damage is totally preventable if the driver watches far enough ahead and plans their deceleration. And I have seen what hard braking does with a header installed, it wraps broken glass around the header like butter around a hot knife, which complicates the eventual dumping of the glass once all the claims are paid.

Lonesome, TokyoJoe and drvrtech77 Thank this.
  11. TokyoJoe

Feb 10, 2015
    So Wylie has "Driver Managers" too? They aren't the load planners and just babysit the drivers while someone else decides your fate with no chance of any communication between you and them?

Yeah, thats the exact same BS I have to deal with. Which makes it pointless to argue with my driver manager because I already know he's just a middleman making none of the actual decisions and he has no effect on the actual person who is 2000 miles away in a remote location that we will never see.

That's why I didn't call yesterday and raise hell about being sat all day Thursday and then given a load on Friday that I could have picked up and delivered by Friday night if I had picked it up on Thursday when it was ready. What's the point in calling and arguing with someone who doesn't actually do anything other than block information from reaching who needs to be hearing it? I mean, that's the driver managers actual job. Stopping the drivers from raising hell with the planners.

The funny thing is that they pay the driver managers less than the guys who load the trailers but they're managing 50 drivers each.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.