Snackbar's new adventure at Moore Freight Services

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by supersnackbar, Jan 6, 2018.

1. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Sounds like Canadian french is like spanish. (The spanish they speak in Mexico is a little different than the spanish spoken in Cuba and Puerto Rico, but all differ somewhat from the spanish they speak in Spain)

When I was at Poly, I learned some words in spanish...the problem is, if I didn't start in english, and just used my few words of spanish, the other person thought I spoke spanish, and I was totally lost trying to keep up. I might end up like that with French, unless I just listen for the words I know so I get the gist of what they are saying.

As for the spring weight restrictions, thanks. They did mention something about that in orientation, but that was almost 5 months ago, I will have to check, fortunately we don't haul really heavy loads up there. We have special flats and single drops just for Canada that have the adjustable front tandem that we slide back from the spread position to the regular tandem position. Not sure why the Canadians won't allow spreads, but when in Rome...

The biggest challenge other than getting in and out at the border crossing is learning the differences in the HOS regs, and remembering that I can't cross until I have had 1 full 24 hour day off within the last 14 days. In some ways I like the differences between our HOS regs, but switching back and forth will take some getting use to...thankfully my Peoplenet knows until I get use to it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    I wish my Peoplenet would learn that I am a Regional Driver. Every time I start driving it wants me to go into California 8/80 mode instead of 7/70. I have to remember to stay in Regional mode to keep my hours straight in my head....PITA.

4. donnieboy

donnieboy Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Easton. PA
    As an old retired guy, I thank you for this thread and your return to the better side of American trucking. There is no doubt you career has been plagued with stubbed to (w214) es and snowflake mega company staffers, but you are so far making it work. This thread is informative and awesome...keep it rolling THANKS!

supersnackbar Thanks this.
  5. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I didn't even know there was an 8/80 option. Thought it was only 60/7 or 70/8.

I appreciate it. The issues I had with Magnum and Big G kinda depleted my reserve savings, and has me a bit behind the 8-ball coming here and had me ill prepared for the slow season. That isn't a knock on the company, just that glass is a niche market in terms of available freight. The one positive side of Moore is that, other than rack return loads, we only haul glass and not general flatbed freight like Maverick does. So, we get a lot of deadhead miles, but it gets us back to the glass plants faster. But, on the flip side of that coin, it means when it's slow...it's really slow, and you have to bank some cash when it's busy to survive. I have spoken to many seasoned glass haulers here that have said $70k isn't tough to achieve, but coming here when I did didn't give me much of a jump on saving money before the slow times hit.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Lonesome Thanks this.
  6. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    I have three options on my people net. CALI 80/8, Canada 70/7 and USA 70/8 LH.

7. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Off to Church Hill I go from Spring Hill. When I dropped my load of return racks in Spring Hill, the lot was overflowing. It's a small yard, designed to hold maybe 30-35 trailers. The guy in the office said they had 71 the last count. Trailers were double and triple parked. And, 17 drivers were there waiting on loads. About mid-afternoon, 10 of us got transfer loads to Church Hill.

On a side note, my calander says it's that time of year again...Saturday night we get to lose an hour of sleep when we have to spring ahead.

4mer trucker Thanks this.
  8. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Here are the double drop trailers I hope they buy more of. (I say that having never pulled one...my wish for more may change if I do)

20180308_095607.jpg

20180308_095501.jpg

Sides are held down with ratchet straps...

20180308_095522.jpg

Tarps are on a roller track

20180308_095312.jpg

And have a bow structure

20180308_095321.jpg

And horizontal ratchet straps inside that I didn't get a pic of.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Rugerfan, Lonesome, 28 and 1 other person Thank this.
  9. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    And back to Spring Hill from Church Hill with another empty. With as many empty trailers they have over there, I hope this is a precursor to things starting to pick up in terms of freight. Not that I am complaining, they're keeping me moving either way.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  10. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I sure will be glad when the glass freight picks up. Picked up a load Monday morning out of Spring Hill headed for Nashville that delivers on Weds morning. Then my empty goes to Church Hill. Supposedly we have a new contract to haul glass out of a Wichita Falls TX glass plant, but I haven't seen one yet. They say that is why we were staging empties in Spring Hill. We shall see.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.