So called "lean" in a newer Volvo truck?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Canadianhauler21, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    So the only answer I've ever gotten on turns/curves is that if you feel lean you're going to fast (advice from my trainer). My last truck (2015 freightliner cascadia) it took me about 4 months to get used to the "lean" during my curves/turns. I could comfortably judge turns/curves accordingly.
    Now I've gotten a 2018 Volvo VNL 860 and this thing leans like a mother $&@#+$ the slightest turns I feel heavy lean on either side, even when I'm bobtail I can't take turns like my Cascadia could have. Had 50MPH windgusts today and felt my tractor leaning to either side with the wind gusts but my load was 37K. Nothing like Ive felt in the Cascadia.

Is it just new trucks that have this hardcore lean?

Is lean necessarily a bad thing to feel?

What do you make of that "lean" that you feel?

How long does it take to get used to a new truck?

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Volvos have a "softer ride" from what I've heard, which should translate to a "looser feel". Yes. Every truck is going to feel a little different is tighter curves. Then factor in the fact that not all curves all engineered the same with the same amount of bank. Some have lesser amount of bank, and some God forbid are practically flat. A few actually have a few feet of outside bank due to settling issues. The cow haulers can tell you about these problem curves. BTW, you will never see a cow hauler using a Volvo ... probably just for the reason noted herein.

tscottme and Canadianhauler21 Thank this.
  4. SidewaysBentHalo

SidewaysBentHalo Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Air ride front suspension. I drove a volvo once after i broke down in cincinatti. Company brought it out and took the freight shaker back to get the turbo worked on. Hated the lean. Nice truck otherwise.

5. Emgee

Emgee Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Rohnert Park, CA
    Screw what the trainer says.. you’re going around a corner too fast when YOU feel that you are. You’re the driver, trainers can only give you basics, as time goes on you learn and do what feels right

6. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Last thing you want to do is get that lean feeling and then straighten up, then have to cut it again. This can cause you to turn over on your side.

Your air bags feel the lean and start pumping air. You straighten up, then cut it again and at that point your suspension has stiffened and you go over. Get into the corner gradually as it leans and then maintain. It’ll hold you.

7. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    The best corner Carver in my book is a Columbia. I could take 50mph curves at 65mph to 70mph on dry road loaded 70 or 80k depending if load was not too heavy or high stacked. And I keep my drives heavier than the trailer tandems.

I have never drove air ride front.
    I like the simple suspension, like air liner, or Volvo, or low leaf Pete. All the tosion bar set ups seem way to sloppy roll, and hard ride.
    I wonder if cab air bag, or shock placement has an effect on body roll?

8. sirjeff

sirjeff Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Kelowna, BC
    To the op: I think that's good driving school advice for right out of the gate.

But, volvos especially with front air axles are pretty leany feeling. As are some other trucks. Sometimes the truck is more planted than it feels but the cab is leaning and giving a false sense of "oh ####." After all, the cab is on a suspension, on top of another suspension. A good number of trucks regardless of make, have the exact same hendrickson or whatever else rear suspension. They might feel different, but might be more grounded than you think. You'll get a feel for it.

In regards to if it's a bad feeling... It really depends on the road, the load, and the equipment. I often sail 30 km/h or 20ish mph faster than posted recommended speeds on the highways I know like the back of my hand. When it comes to unfamiliar anything, just take it easy until you know the truck like you did the cascadia you were driving before. (and the corners!)

Your arsehole will tell you if you went too fast by sucking up and holding onto the seat cover, and then you, yourself, lean into the seat the opposite way to try to shift some weight like it'll make a difference.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  9. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    I don’t know...in my Volvo day cab i could take the exit from i295n to i195e in Jersey at a 70+mph. While draging a reffer trailer.

10. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    If a curve is marked 50 I can push 60 depending on load. My Volvo does lean a lot, but that's OK. Don't need to push any faster.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    Canadianhauler21 Thanks this.
  11. JZ80

JZ80 Light Load Member

Jul 20, 2017
    Western MA.
    Thought we were all just too fat.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.