So for income and tax purposes what state is best to live in?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Farmerbob1, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Heh. I have no interest in living on a boat. Boats are fine for fishing from, but I do not want to come back home after a hurricane or tornado and find my house upside down in an oak tree. Stick built houses take enough damage in big storms.

tucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    In the 9 months it took us to sell our fathers home in Fairbanks the oil bill delivered was anywhere between 600 to 1200 monthly with a 2200 dollar unpaid oil. Fortunately for us the man had seperated himself from society with enough metal inside that home to sell raw to jewelwers and covered the past due bill on oil.

If you examine the fairbanks real estate, the undamaged homes are those being heated at great expense by the sellers. If left unheated the winter will inflict enough damage to the property as to get it torn down and good only for the land. It's not a bad area, mind you but it is a different living up there. You will at minimum have a big bore such as a .500 or .460 or even a short .308 with you at all times against bears and moose. I had bear loads in super 255 grain at close to 1400 fps for my railgun in hardcast round nose from Buffalo Bore (No fun to shoot without the Hogue grips...) and then never really sure if that is the defense or not. The best defense is actually softly saying hey bear bear. Do not surprise them.

Another idea that Fairbanks is so far, is that you can gaurantee Eagle Service OVERNIGHT mail delivery of documents early next morning prior to 10. Well at 10 am that airplane has left seattle hour ago and still has Prince Rupert to flyby on the way to either anchorage or Fairbanks airport. That is how far and vast alaska really is at mach .82 to .88 or so depending on the jet stream loading.

Alaska Railroad is the last om demand flag stop anywhere along the line. If you miss a certain train, it will be a week before you see it again. But they have managed to get things done now and then. I find that a huge attraction in my spirit. Unfortunately my body is probably too damaged to put up with that kind of situation too long. before I become a liability.

I myself is not in a position at the moment to see how best to exercise what little I know of steam. Maybe one day a opportunity will come along. Maybe some corsentium might handle the top financing and concept while we deal with the full functional steam, engine, coal, watera amd routes in a park large enough for people to decompress and enjoy a stress free day.

Maybe I can look into it and see if this would be a happy opportunity to give many people rides of a good quality without the time dispatch constraints

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    CorsairFanboy and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  4. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I've lived all over and currently live in northern California. I'm only here because my elderly parents are, but once they're gone, me and the wife are outta here. Grew up in Ohio, lived in Florida for a while and Oregon. For me it boils down to affordable living with decent weather, which is about the only positive thing I can say about California. The weather here is perfect, but Oregon is pretty nice too. It rains more than here, and the mountains get a lot of snow, but not so much in the lowland areas. It's green, lots of fishing and hunting, income and property taxes are pretty low, and there is no sales tax on anything. You can also get a nice place with some property for a good price. There are a lot of truck drivers living up there, and a lot of driving jobs. Portland is a pretty town, but the people and their politics are a turn off, kind of like San Francisco and LA. Everyplace else in the state is pretty nice and the people are friendly.

5. Paddlewagon

Paddlewagon Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Llano Estacado
    Yea,but up here the flipping wind blows EVERY #### DAY!!!!

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  6. Truckermania

Truckermania Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    I live in Western South Dakota. Nice place overall though the weather can get rough in the winter but overall no biggie. At least they know how to handle plowing roads.

CorsairFanboy, Farmerbob1 and 06driver Thank this.
  7. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    Oh hell no. That state has gone to hell in a hand basket for the last 35 years. I got the hell out a decade ago and had to return when my father died. Took 6 months to get the stink of the filth of that state out of everything.

The liberal Yankees that f'ed up New York have converted the state to a liberal bastion. That and their beholden to Micheal Eisber at Disney.

Yeah no taxes, smells like wet redneck, spiders the size of a waffle, and the cess pools of Tampa/St Pete and Jax.

FredZeppelin77, Eowyn and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  8. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    Tennessee is not bad if you stay away from Memphis, Nashville, Nooga or K'town.

If you want mountains look up by Greenville but below Bristol area. Over by Tazewell is good land reasonable. If your more of a flatlander Dyersburg is decent. If you do not mind high price and want a city close check out Springhill, or Springfield. Far enough from MetroNashville to keep the inner city scrum away, but a quick 45 minute drive for a show, concert, monster truck rally ;)

If it was not for my wife hating Texas I would be looking in the Red River area.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  9. truadvocate

truadvocate Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I don't think you really said what you meant.

Come on now...

Don't be shy.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  10. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Actually, I would love to live somewhere that the wind blows constantly. Set up a couple small windmills and a battery bank, and you can have a nice little emergency power system. Or even be off the grid, though I don't really have a desire to intentionally go off grid.

06driver Thanks this.
  11. Truckermania

Truckermania Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    In South Dakota the wind blows just about all the time.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.