So for income and tax purposes what state is best to live in?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Farmerbob1, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Wow you guys must make those big bucks to worry about state income taxes.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    And don't buy into the notion that if it's an income tax state, then property/automobile taxes, registration fees, sales taxes, etc are lower. That's generally a BS statement when you look into it.

Point is, they all try and gouge you. May as well eliminate as much gouging as you have control over. State income taxes are not an insignificant amount IMO, no matter where you fall in the income range.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  4. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Not so cheap living on a boat anymore unless you find a piece of crap that you don't want to ever leave the slip in so you never pull it out for a bottom job.
    Also many of the marinas don't want live aboards anymore and also want you to carry full coverage and liability in case your boat sinks they don't have to pay to remove it. Live aboard marinas are becoming very rare species.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  5. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I lived in Texas for 15 years and for the most part I liked it. No income tax but property tax is high enough to make up for it. I think no matter where you live they are going to get their tax money out of you some way. I would not live somewhere that I did not really want to live just to save a few bucks on taxes.

Jazz1, Farmerbob1 and driverdriver Thank this.
  6. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    That’s why you want to live near the border of Tennessee .
    And Tennessee has a super high tax rate of you buy a shot of liquor in a Restraunt

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  7. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    I do not have any specific place where I want to live, yet, so tax rates can, and will, enter the picture.

Look at it this way. A state that does not currently heavily burden it's residents with taxes is a state that is perhaps less likely to do so in the future.

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Well I get that, if I was going to do this truck thing right ... hehe ... I would move to one of two states, Nevada which isn't all that bad or Wyoming where I have a lot of family - all other states have some sort of justified taxes on other things, I told my wife if Florida would pass their no property tax bill, we would be in a motor home going down there to find property to live on in a NY minute.

OH I pay about 2% taxes here, it has a 4.25% rate but after all the credits and crap, it comes out to ... well really 1.8%.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  9. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Wyoming or Montana. Case closed.
    And as pointed out earlier, don’t bring your liberal politics with you.

AramatAz, swervyjoe and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  10. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    If you want fairly cheap then I’d say South Dakota. Sales tax is in the 6% range and it’s dirt cheap to license a vehicle once you pay the 3% tax on it.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  11. 417bigK

417bigK Light Load Member

Apr 5, 2018
    Southwest Mizzery (MO)
    Anyone have any experience with what Kentucky is like? Specifically the Paducah/Murray region...

12. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Say what you want about Kentucky but at least they has the foresight long ago to widen a good portion of their interstates to 3 lane. Another plus? They make some pretty good distilled spirits so at least a few seem to be worth hanging out with.

CorsairFanboy, Farmerbob1 and 417bigK Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.