So, I have been working on my truck myself

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by henboy1, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    I use my Milwaukee 1/2 high torque battery impact to take my wheels off all the time. You got to give it time to work. Wheels should only be tightened to 400 to 450 lbs.

PE_T, HoneyBadger67, JonJon78 and 4 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. henboy1

henboy1 Medium Load Member

Mar 26, 2011
    stockbridge
    I have the same Milwaukee fuel . It didnt work , even when I took my time . I think the problem is I am going to a shop with a big gun who dont torque it . They just ram the gun . Tight as heck . . That Milwaukee gun is still not enough tightness. You need a torque wrench with that

starmac Thanks this.
  4. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

That's not true. There is nothing wrong when properly used. And a torque wrench properly. U bolts are where it's never to be used.

5. jamespmack

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

450-500 tuggers

Tug Toy and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  6. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Your the first person I've ever heard of that hasn't been able to remove lug nuts with the Milwaukee impact.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  7. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    https://www.arconic.com/alcoawheels/catalog/pdf/servicemanual-english.pdf
    I have heard that before. Here is the installation manual for Alcoa Wheels, All 52 pages of it.
    They recommend putting anti seize compound on the flat surfaces of the hub which center the wheel (page 31) and lubricating with motor oil the 2 piece lug nut, the only one recommended for aluminum wheels where the flange meets the nut, and also putting motor oil on the threads of the stud. (Page 32).
    There are no warnings about using anti seize on the studs. Since the book is full of warnings, if the practice was that unsafe I would think they would mention it. They do of course make a BIG deal out of torquing all assemblies properly, which is totally appropriate.

If you have ever dealt with a stud piloted wheel assembly, with the 2 part lug nuts, one that holds the inner wheel, then the larger lug nut that holds the outer wheel, and their propensity to rust together, I would put anti sieze on those every time, no matter what the engineers said. As it turns out the manual cited above does not prohibit the practice.

clausland, Cattleman84, SL3406 and 4 others Thank this.
  8. jamespmack

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

Seen plenty that laughed at a 1 inch impact on a large compressor. Had to heat the nuts and hit them with impact.

SL3406, fordconvert and Tug Toy Thank this.
  9. jamespmack

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

I'll add my advise to that. On bud style two piece nuts, you do NOT want never seize on the flange/tapper of the nuts. Threads only. Like wise on the flat surface of the Unitized nuts. Only on the threads. Coat the stud and use a rag to wipe down high spots. Keeping it in the threads.

Brettj3876 and Tug Toy Thank this.
  10. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    You and me both. The idiot tire changers at truck stops hammer them on with 2k ft lb break away strength guns.

11. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    When you read the actual manual I posted above, you will cringe when you see how bad the practices are out there. Larger chain truck tire locations seem to have the best training. Truck stops and mom and pop's are spotty at best.
    I watch them do tire service sometimes before I let them touch my tractor. I have been known to cancel the service order and go else where.

RunningAces, spyder7723 and jamespmack Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.