So I was using my thinkin' brain.

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by PackRatTDI, Feb 7, 2007.

1. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    About anti-idling devices. For air conditioning, I wonder if any companies have experimented with an ammonia absorption cooling unit. Instead of using an energy consuming electrical compressor to run the refrigeration unit, it uses ammonia and an open flame to run the refrigeration cycle. Many RV refrigerators run on this method using LP fuel.

For those of you who are clueless, here's a description of how the basic ammonia absorption process works. http://www.gasrefrigerators.com/howitworks.htm

The only difference would be the addition of a blower to circulate the bunk air through the evaporator and a small fan to circulate air over the condensor and maybe a pump to handle the liquid ammonia.

Using fuel to provide the flame, the AC could theoretically be run with similar levels of diesel fuel/power consumption as there would be with an Espar bunk heater, requiring no additional battery packs.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rangerman1

rangerman1 Light Load Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Cheney, Wa
    I've never heard of it being tried with trucks. The first couple reasons pop into mind are the cost of retrofitting, or redesign. And infrastructure. ie: what type of fuel would they use? Propane, kerosene etc. And how would it be made available to the OTR boys? Good thought, is do-able, but I suspect the attitude would end up being: Not cost effective, co's would feel it simpler to make their drivers sweat. ;-)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.